Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Other Boards / FAQ / ~ Glossary of Terms ~
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 03.09.01 22:32 GMT
The dog world is full of acronyms and phrases that mean little to the un-initiated. It would be very useful if the inexperienced visitor to Champdogs had a glossary to which they could refer to explain what these terms mean.

If you could spare a few moments of your time to add to this thread it would be much appreciated. I will collate them all together and create a reference page on the site.

Here is my starter (feel free to add to it or correct me if I am wrong):

BIS - Best in Show : The prize awarded to the best dog or bitch at a show

Others that instantly spring to mind are:

Junior Warrant
CC
HPR
The tie
KC
Hip Score

I am sure there are many more

Thanks
Mark
- By LongDog [gb] Date 04.09.01 07:06 GMT
where do you start!
the ones that spring to mind at this early hour are:
BOB - Best of Breed
RBOB - Reserve Best of Breed
BPIB - Best Puppy in Breed
BOS - Best Opposite Sex
RBIS - Reserve Best in Show
G1,G2,G3 etc are Group 1 and so on - are the placings in the group judging
MP - Minor Puppy
P - Puppy
J - Junior
N - Novice
SY - Special Yearling
UG -Under Graduate
G - Graduate
PG - Post Graduate
L - Limit
O - Open
V - Veteran

There may be a D or B after any of the above which just means Dog or Bitch eg : PGB - Post Graduate Bitch

And then there is the Champion status,
FCh Field Champion
ShCh Show Champion
RCh Racing Champion

And dont enquire as to how Champions are 'made up' (theres another! which means gains its title) in other parts of the world.

LongDog
- By AlanJ [gb] Date 04.09.01 07:14 GMT
Thanks Leigh for starting this, as you say it is very confusing to us newcomers.
I find that breed abrieviations are also a different language. I know that ESS is an English Springer Spaniel
WSS is a Welsh Springer Spaniel, then start to lose it :)

Whilst on the subject, what is a Bracco?

Alan

PS do you have to take a degree course to understand all the showing terms ? ;)
- By Leigh [us] Date 04.09.01 07:24 GMT Edited 13.01.15 09:53 GMT
Not down to me Alan ! this is Batman's baby ;-)

I will answer your Bracco question in another thread.

GWT: Gundog Working Test.
FT: Field Trial.
FT.Ch: Field Trial Champion.
CH.&FT.CH: Champion(Ring) & Field Trial Champion. Also known as Dual Champion.

WT: Working Trial.
WT.CH: Working Trial Champion.
OB.Ch: Obedience Champion.
SH.Ch: Show Champion.

IR: Import Register.
BB: Best Bitch.
BD: Best Dog.
BP: Best Puppy.
BOS: Best Opposite Sex.

KC Reg: Kennel Club Registered.
HD: Hip Dysplasia.

Mark, what about all the abbreviations of the dogs breed names?

GSP:German Shorthaired Pointer
BI: Bracco Italiano.
GLP: German Longhaired Pointer.
HV: Hungarian Vizsla.
HWV: Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla.
LM: Large Munsterlander.
IS: Italian Spinone.

Leigh
- By Freeway [gb] Date 04.09.01 08:35 GMT
KCJO: Kennel Club Junior Organisation
JH: Junior Handler
AVNSC: Any Variety Not Separately Classified
NFC: Not For Competition

OW: Obedience Warrant
CDex: Companion Dog Exellent
UDex: Utitlty Dog Excellent
WDex: Working Dog Exellent
TDex: Tracking Dog Excellent
PDex: Patrol Dog Excellent

I think the list of abbreviations for breeds is a good idea.
GBGV: Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen
PBGV: Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
GSD: German Shepherd Dog
GWP: German Wirehaired Pointer
WSD: Working Sheep Dog
BFdB: Basset Fauve de Bretagne
BMD: Bernese Mountain Dog
OES: Old English Sheepdog
- By Karen.T Date 04.09.01 08:56 GMT
Don't forget the mad dogs

BC: Border Collie

Karen
- By Freeway [gb] Date 04.09.01 09:32 GMT
Placing: Physically placing your dogs legs when standing them for the Judge.
Baiting: Using food (bait) to get your dog to stand itself for the Judge.
- By het [gb] Date 04.09.01 09:42 GMT
theres also Agility CHampion (not sure of letters)

Stacking - placing the dogs feet and often holding the head and tail
- By Freeway [gb] Date 04.09.01 09:44 GMT
I think agility champion is just simply ACh
- By Kerioak Date 04.09.01 10:24 GMT
Did you want foreign abreviations that can appear on our UK dogs as well?

Sch I, II and III - German (origin) working qualification
IPO I,II, III - international working qualification similar to Schutzhund

Sgr or Sr & Sgn or Sn Sieger & G Siegerin - Winner dog or bitch at German shows

ZTP (Zuchttauglichkeitsprüfung). Fitness for breeding test
Confirmation Gradings
Excellent - V (Germany) U (Holland)
Very Good SG
Good G
Sufficient BEF
Not Sufficient Ungnd
Mentality gradings
1A, Excellent
1B, not quite so excellent
mon. zur, try again in 6 months
zuc - not fit for breeding
therefore V-1A indicates excellence in both confirmation and mentality

Korung - the most sever test of confirmation, character, health and condition

Imp - Import
Neut - Neutered

FCI - Federation Cynologique International (controlling canine body for Europe and South Africa - dogs are registered by their countries KC's but come under the FCI)
- By Mair [gb] Date 04.09.01 12:02 GMT
When I first came onto champs, someone was telling me about their dog, who I assumed was called "Bob" until it was pointed out to me that "Bob" stands for Best Of Breed - what a twit I am, so much to learn - good idea this thread it'll help me learn a lot more!;)
- By AlanJ [gb] Date 04.09.01 12:47 GMT
Sorry, but I have to ask....what is Best Opposite Sex?
Dogs entered into a bitch class? :confused:
- By Freeway [gb] Date 04.09.01 12:54 GMT
If the best dog won best of breed, then the best bitch would be best opposite sex & vice versa.
- By AlanJ [gb] Date 04.09.01 12:57 GMT
Thanks Freeway, it all makes sense when you know. ;)
- By John [gb] Date 04.09.01 18:30 GMT
One more only seen with Flatcoated Retrievers

SDC. Shooting Dog Certificate.
Usually has an A or B after it to denote the grade of test passed.
- By Freeway [gb] Date 05.09.01 15:09 GMT
Why do only Flatcoats get an SDC, why not other retrievers?
- By John [gb] Date 05.09.01 16:51 GMT
It's purely a Flatcoat test, organised by the Flatcoated Retriever Society as a test of working ability. No other breed has anything comparable. (Mores the pity)

Regards, John
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 05.09.01 14:43 GMT
Thanks to all the responses so far.

As well as the abbreviations it would be great to have an explanation as to what they all mean, for example:

P - Puppy
J - Junior
N - Novice
SY - Special Yearling
UG -Under Graduate
G - Graduate
PG - Post Graduate
L - Limit
O - Open
V - Veteran

Is all gobbledygook to me :)

And another one what does "running on" mean ?
- By Freeway [gb] Date 05.09.01 14:51 GMT
MINOR PUPPY—For dogs of six and not exceeding nine calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.
PUPPY—For dogs of six and not exceeding twelve calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.
JUNIOR—For dogs of six and not exceeding eighteen calendar months of age on the first day of the Show.
SPECIAL YEARLING—For dogs of six months and not exceeding two years of age on the first day of the Show.
MAIDEN—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or a First Prize at an Open or Championship Show (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not).
NOVICE—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or three or more First Prizes at an Open or Championship Show (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not).
TYRO—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or five or more First Prizes at an Open or Championship Show (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not).
UNDERGRADUATE—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or three or more First Prizes at Championship Shows (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not).
GRADUATE—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or four or more First Prizes at Championship Shows in Graduate, Post Graduate, Minor Limit, Mid Limit, Limit and Open classes, whether restricted or not.
POST GRADUATE—For dogs which have not won a Challenge Certificate or five or more First Prizes at Championship Shows in Post Graduate, Minor Limit, Mid Limit, Limit and Open classes, whether restricted or not.
MINOR LIMIT—For dogs which have not won two Challenge Certificates or three or more First Prizes in all at Championship Shows in Minor Limit, Mid Limit, Limit and Open classes, confined to the breed, whether restricted or not, at shows where Challenge Certificates were offered for the breed.
MID LIMIT—For dogs which have not won three Challenge Certificates or five or more First Prizes in all at Championship Shows in Mid Limit, Limit and Open classes, confined to the breed, whether restricted or not, at shows where Challenge Certificates were offered for the breed.
LIMIT—For dogs which have not won three Challenge Certificates under three different judges or seven or more First Prizes in all at Championship Shows in Limit and Open classes, confined to the breed, whether restricted or not, at shows where Challenge Certificates were offered for the breed.
OPEN—For all dogs of the breeds for which the class is provided and eligible for entry at the show.
SPECIAL OPEN—Similar to Open Class except that it is restricted as to weight, colour, height, or to members of an Association.
VETERAN—For dogs over seven years of age on the first day of the Show.

Never heard of 'running on' before.
- By Claire B [gb] Date 09.09.01 14:46 GMT
Quick question. Take for example Maiden Dog, the bit in brackets, what does it mean about the puppy classes being excepted with restricted or not. I've never understood that part.

Any of you golden oldies remember the flying banana, mmmm now how could I describe them :rolleyes:

Great to be back, been away from here for a whole week whilst moving house and it's taking me ages to catch up with you chatterboxes. I'm nackered ;-)
- By Twilly [us] Date 24.09.01 11:08 GMT
FLYING BANANA :affectionate name given to a weimaraner ... 'cos you have about as much chance of using directional control on a weimar, as you have for directing a lobbed banana. Infact, due to a banana's boomerang properties, you probably have more chance of getting a banana back...lol :D

Sorry, sorry, sorry .....I'm gone ;-)

Twilly xx
- By Claire B [gb] Date 24.09.01 13:25 GMT
ROTFLMAO

Your're just jealous cos I've got 2 flying banana's and you've got none :p

I'll have you know that my weims are excellent on recall - I have to keep calling and re-calling and re-calling and re-calling :rolleyes: They're just busy dogs that's all !!
- By Wendy J [gb] Date 14.09.01 15:19 GMT
Now here's one I keep meaning and forgetting to ask:

What on earth does this actually mean '(Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not).'

looking forward to understanding it.

Wendy
- By fleetgold [gb] Date 14.09.01 16:10 GMT
Minor puppy is dogs between 6 and 9 months, puppy is dogs between 6 and 12 months. Special minor puppy or special puppy classes are when there is something different from the above, I believe one year Crufts had special puppy for dogs up to 14 months rather than the normal 12 months. Whether restricted or not usually relates to breeds who have different coats, colours etc - so in my breed you might have special black puppy class, where only the black puppies can enter. When counting your wins these special classes do count although they were restricted to pups of one colour.

Joan
Take the rough with the smooth
- By Wendy J [gb] Date 14.09.01 18:16 GMT
Ahhh - thank you. I've been reading my schedules for the past few months trying to find some variation to understand. So far I've not come across any specials in the whippets - not sure if there are, but that explains why it's not made sense.

Thanks much!

Wendy
- By Claire B [gb] Date 18.09.01 14:35 GMT
But what does the 'excepted' bit mean? For example in Maiden Dog you may enter this class providing your dog has not won a first prize in any open or champ show but then in brackets it goes on about the (Minor Puppy, Special Minor Puppy, Puppy and Special Puppy Classes excepted, whether restricted or not). I understand the restricted bit but not the excepted bit.

Does it mean even if you have won a first prize in any of the puppy classes you may still enter Maiden Dog ?

I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.
- By Freeway [gb] Date 18.09.01 14:45 GMT
As far as I understand it, that is what it means.
- By fleetgold [gb] Date 18.09.01 15:19 GMT
Yes - that is exactly what it means.

Joan
- By Leigh [us] Date 05.09.01 15:41 GMT
"Running on " when used by a breeder means, that they are keeping a puppy for a bit longer to see if it is good enough to show or work etc. The opposite to "Running in" which is what gundogs have a habit of doing if they are unsteady :rolleyes:

Leigh
- By fleetgold [gb] Date 05.09.01 15:49 GMT
Puppies change dramatically in their first year or so of life and it is very hard to decide at 8 or 10 weeks which one is going to be the star of the show ring or which should be sold. Breeders will often run a puppy or two on, ie they will keep them until they are 8 or 9 months old before deciding whether they will keep the pup, or will sell them at that age. That way they can make the decision when the pup is much more mature.

Joan
- By Polly [gb] Date 05.09.01 17:43 GMT
Ok so us flatcoat folk are "a law unto ourselves!" John is quite right to say SDC is totally unique to flatcoats, it could be used in other breeds if they wanted to follow our lead. Basically it is an ordinary shooting day, four dogs are chosen to attend a shoot, throughout the day the dogs are worked and the "judges" follow them, they watch to see if they are steady to shot, quiet, soft mouthed and obedient. It is not a competition, it was designed for the breed as a lot of ordinary shooting folk work flatcoats, but very few trial them, so we were losing our working stud dogs and bitches from our breeding programmes.
Also seen on pedigrees are field trial award wins, sometimes printed as FTAW or FTA This denotes a dog who has been placed in a field trial although has not won first prize. Sometimes seen on a working pedigree is C.o.M which means Certificate of Merit, which is another field trail award for a dog placed in the lower end of the awards. Another working award is Guns Choice, during the day if a dog is seen to do well the guns get to award a "Guns Choice" award.
- By Leigh [us] Date 05.09.01 18:05 GMT
FTW (Field Trial Winner) and FTA (Field Trial Award) written on pedigree's has alway's been a contentious issue. I know a lot of people who have thought that they have purchased a puppy with FT champions in the pedigree only to find out at a later date that the dog is only a Field Trial Winner. Its amazing how many 'breeders' will write FTW in red on a pedigree. :-)

The 'Guns Award' has always been highly prized.

Leigh
- By Kerioak Date 05.09.01 20:33 GMT
I don't know if they still do it but the KC used to provide a Glossary if you bought all of the booklets with the breed standards - that would give a lot of terms!

Christine
- By AlanJ [gb] Date 06.09.01 07:24 GMT
Blimey, Admin, I hope you've got plenty of spare web space! ;)

I would never have guessed it could be soooooo complicated. Very interesting none the less.

I love the Flatcoat idea, especially the Guns Choice.
( but then, even though I have judged photography and public speaking, I have always had a thing about 'judges'. Still I'm sure I'll grow out of it ;) )

Alan
- By Leigh [us] Date 06.09.01 07:48 GMT
Thats the beauty of the "Guns Award/Choice" Alan. The judges don't have ANY say in the dog that the Guns pick ! Thats why it is so highly prized. :-) Usually several Guns have decided which dog they have enjoyed shooting over or would like to shoot over again.It is quite a compliment.

Leigh
- By Leigh [us] Date 24.09.01 10:51 GMT
Crabbing : a type of movement when a dog moves its body at an angle and not in a straightline in the direction of travel.

Pacing: When both the front and back legs on one side of the dog move in unison.

Gait: Name given to describe the most efficient movement (speed) of a particular breed.
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 04.12.04 19:44 GMT
Bump for the benefit of new members
Up Topic Other Boards / FAQ / ~ Glossary of Terms ~