Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / Dog suddenly started messing in house!
- By GFL6630 [gb] Date 16.06.17 15:44 GMT
Hi guys

I have a 6 year old Yorkshire terrier cross and she's been house-trained since a puppy.
This past few weeks she's started going for a wee during the night on the carpet downstairs... She gets taken out numerous times a day and her last toilet break is usually about 10/11 pm at night with her morning one being at 7am

She can hold it in during the day between 8-1 and 1-5 but overnight she will go and pee :confused:

Now if I shut the bedroom door at night she won't wee , but if it's open she will go

Also I have noticed she wee's fairly often when out for a walk and previously I have put it down to her dominance since she's a bossy little girl with no other house dogs but today I noticed there's only a few drops come out sometimes she sqats (a bit like a male dog scent marking)

I don't know weather to take her to the vets as possible UTI ?
- By CaroleC [gb] Date 16.06.17 19:03 GMT Upvotes 2
The fact that she sometimes only passes a few drops would make me suspect a UTI. I would make an appointment with the vet, and take a fresh, cleanly captured urine sample with you.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 17.06.17 03:50 GMT
Only few drops come out could indeed be them trying to leave their scent, my bossy girl is doing it all the time while at the walks, but never in the garden where she doesn't have to prove herself:smile:

My other girl had a period of cystitis however, when she would want to go to pee often and couldn't hold. "Often" meant every two hours approximately, and it did transpire in the night when we first noticed.
- By Harley Date 17.06.17 09:22 GMT

> but today I noticed there's only a few drops come out

I would definitely make a vet appointment for her sooner than later. One of my dogs did the same for a couple of days and I thought it was marking too - a new rescue who had come into a house with other dogs in it - but I took him along to the vet with another dog who was there for his boosters. After examining my dog he was admitted straight awayfor an emergency operation as he had bladder stones which had caused a blockage. If I hadn't taken him with me that day I would have lost him.
Please get your dog checked by a vet - it cost me an arm and a leg as he wasn't insured at that point - but it would have cost him his life.
- By MamaBas Date 17.06.17 09:55 GMT

> The fact that she sometimes only passes a few drops would make me suspect a UTI. I would make an appointment with the vet, and take a fresh, cleanly captured urine sample with you.

Typical for a UTI would be squatting, having a reasonable flow and then squatting again and only passing a few drops.   I know only too well what cystitis feels like - the urge to go (and when you do, it's painful).

As said, collect some of her urine and take it, fresh, with her to your vet.   He should run a urinalysis to confirm or rule out this problem.   It is possible that it might be bladder stones which has similar symptoms although in the bitch, should only start to block if the stone(s) gets big and cannot be passed.  

I'd not leave this.  

ps   In my breed (others may be different) it's very rare for a bitch to mark.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / Dog suddenly started messing in house!