Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Border collie pup ready september time
- By Mb [gb] Date 13.06.17 19:51 GMT
We have a fantastic 4 year old collie male called Toby and we feel we have space for another collie pup ready in September, ideally med to long haired black and white or tri.
Mary
- By Tommee Date 13.06.17 20:02 GMT
Plenty of puppies in decent Border Collie rescues, unless you want a pedigree
- By Mb [gb] Date 20.06.17 12:50 GMT Upvotes 1
Hi thanks for your reply but with border collies having behaviour and nervous problems which I have delt with before With my dog so need to know the history especially with having children and a collie already and I won't get that with a rescue centre otherwise I would of.
Kind regards
Mary
- By JeanSW Date 20.06.17 14:52 GMT Upvotes 1

> but with border collies having behaviour and nervous problems

WOW!  And with all my years with Collies I've never had this.
- By RozzieRetriever Date 20.06.17 17:09 GMT Upvotes 1
I've seen several. One in particular would bark and almost froth at the mouth to get at my dogs from the other side of the road. I am always wary of them and believe that many people don't realise how clever they are and how much they need their brains occupying.
- By Tommee Date 20.06.17 18:26 GMT
Really ?? Never had a BC with bred in behaviour problems or nervous problems in 60 odd years of involvement with the breed. I have come across BCs in the wrong homes & with the wrong owners. Puppies are what you make them no matter were they come from.

I suggest if you are set on buying a puppy & want one suitable as a pet only the bite the bullet & buy a show bred puppy.

Do make sure the parents & whole pedigree are FULLY health tested including hearing, eye & HD/ED clinical tests as well as ALL the DNA tests being normal or the dogs being normal by pedigree plus no incidence of epilepsy in the whole pedigree. Will cost anywhere from £500 upwards
- By RozzieRetriever Date 20.06.17 19:09 GMT
I agree it's the wrong homes and the wrong owners. I don't think they do well in suburbia!!
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 20.06.17 19:34 GMT Upvotes 4

> Puppies are what you make them no matter were they come from.

As discussed in the other thread, this is not entirely correct. Genes play a large part in this, and BC are known to have a disposition for obsessive/compulsive behaviour - not all of them, but many enough to be noticed.
- By Tectona [gb] Date 20.06.17 23:25 GMT Upvotes 4
There are absolutely BCs with genetically unstable temperaments. I have owned one and met many, many relatives with a vast array of issues.

It is NOT all in how you raise them.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 21.06.17 07:10 GMT Upvotes 5
Sadly I had a collie bitch who was nervous aggressive and 3 of her litter sisters were pts for their behavioural problems and I have seen quite a few collies whose desire to practice their working instincts have led to difficulties with OCD, rounding up family members, obsessive with toys, chasing cars/flies/shadows etc.  I love the breed but do know where the OP is coming from with regards to taking on someone else's problems.
- By Jeangenie [gb] Date 21.06.17 07:13 GMT Upvotes 4

>I am always wary of them and believe that many people don't realise how clever they are and how much they need their brains occupying.

I know (through work) a few who are on medication for their obsessive/compulsive behaviours. Luckily we have some as clients who are utterly delightful. You really need to choose the breeder very carefully.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 22.06.17 08:18 GMT Upvotes 1
I think it is very different judging a breed that you own and perhaps have bred and known good typical lines and individuals, and then compare them to the many chance bred, poorly reared ones with no selection for correct temperament or conformation,.

My own breed typically have a steady easy going, self sufficient, albeit independent character.

That is how the dogs are in their homeland, and from good breeding here and in the USA, yet it is apparent from Breed forums that the rescue and BYB/puppy farmed ones go the whole gamut from highly nervous/fearful to dog dominant/aggressive
- By satincollie (Moderator) Date 22.06.17 12:05 GMT Upvotes 1
Hi Mb a good place to start would be the breed clubs who will have some knowledge of forth coming litters from health tested parents. List of clubs Here
- By Ells-Bells [gb] Date 22.06.17 16:12 GMT
What area are you in?
- By suejaw Date 22.06.17 18:00 GMT Upvotes 1
Ive come across many of the breed who do not do well with other breeds. I avoid them at all costs now.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Border collie pup ready september time