Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Healthy Walk
- By snowflake [gb] Date 12.06.17 14:27 GMT
In our town once a week a group meet up and go out on a "healthy walk" for an hour or so.  Dogs are allowed on leads.  The walk can be slightly challenging, through woodlands and up and down hills (this is a hilly part of the world).  We usually take one of our dogs, the Greek girl, Hannah, the other two not being up to it these days.  However our mini schnauzer puppy  is now 6 months old - where does the time go?  He is full of beans and loves his walks so I am wondering at what age I could think of taking him.  I know that too much exercise at too young an age is not good, with growing bones etc.  He has a couple of normal walks daily at the moment (and does a lot play fighting........in the garden)!  I suppose I think that maybe at about 9 months or so?  What do you think?  He is quite a sturdy little chap.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 12.06.17 14:37 GMT
There is a rule of thumb for "enforced" exercise - no more than 5min per month of age twice a day. So 6 months would be no more than 30min walk twice a day.
- By Nikita [gb] Date 12.06.17 14:58 GMT Upvotes 1
He may be 'sturdy' but he is still a puppy, whose growth plates haven't closed yet.  This is why it's advised to go easy up to a year or so old with exercise.  Monkeyj is right with the rule of thumb.  You can get away with a little more occasionally, on soft ground, but if it's very hilly and hard going I'd be inclined to wait until he's a year old (by which time you'll have built up to an hour twice a day) and then go.  Or, just go along for a little bit for the social side, and turn back after 15 minutes.
- By MamaBas Date 12.06.17 16:02 GMT
I would always err on the less is best side at his age - bearing in mind I come from Bassets, who we do NOT recommend be taken on any organised walking until 6 months, and then only very gradually doing more, to help bones, muscles and joints develop slowly.   Given mine is a heavy boned breed.   After a year, they can do as much or as little as the owner is prepared to provide.   I'd imagine it's not that good an idea to overdo any breed/puppy until the time the growth plates have closed even if compared to mine, the Min Schnauzer is on a different planet :grin:  As suggested, go for the social occasion but turn back rather than do the whole walk, even if he seems to be doing fine.  I'd far rather have a puppy who by a year old, is still sound.
- By snowflake [gb] Date 12.06.17 21:11 GMT
Thanks all, I will be waiting until Otto is 12 months before going on the group walk, as advised.   Shall stick to his two 20 mins or so walks a day for the time being. I am determined to keep him sound!
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Healthy Walk