Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / 2 weeks puppy has back leg devation
- By Vhw2014 [gb] Date 07.06.17 09:00 GMT
I notice my 2 weeks puppy has one back leg toward centre. In this stage is anything I can help her ?  Puppies come out by c section.
- By MamaBas Date 07.06.17 09:03 GMT
Apart from perhaps having your vet take a look, I'd just make sure he's on non-slippery flooring and wait.   It may come right.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 07.06.17 11:46 GMT
I would second the non slip bedding/floor and assess the puppy when it starts to get up on it's feet and walk, it could just be having been cramped in the uterus, vet's probably wouldn't do anything about it at this age.
- By MamaBas Date 10.06.17 09:34 GMT

> vet's probably wouldn't do anything about it at this age.

.... and shouldn't because any surgery to do with construction should be done after the growth plates have closed at least.   Or I'd suggest you'd be looking at multiple surgeries as the puppy grows.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 10.06.17 11:45 GMT Upvotes 1
I wasn't thinking surgery at this early age but possibly later if this is a joint or bone problem, the majority of puppies will come right as they grow so try not to worry at this early stage
- By LucyDogs [gb] Date 12.06.17 10:02 GMT
I had one whose front legs were very crooked at birth, she was a singleton born by C section when labour didn't start so she'd been stuck in the birth canal in an odd position, the vet thought. I was told to just keep gently putting her legs in the right position when she curled them under as she crawled, so I did that and by the time she was a couple of weeks old they looked perfectly normal. She does 'toe out' a little when she stands but otherwise there's no problem now as an adult. You could try just placing the leg in the correct position and see if that helps?
Up Topic Dog Boards / Breeding / 2 weeks puppy has back leg devation