Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Lab retriever Pup for Sept, when should I start looking?
- By ts321 [gb] Date 03.06.17 21:35 GMT
Hello,

We can offer a Labrador Retriever Puppy a loving home in September 2017.

When should we start the search? We do not have any preference over the sex or colouring.

Is there any benefit in looking this soon? I see Pups available on this site rights now, should be just wait until September and see what is available?

Naturally we will be cautious and expect to see the mother all the necessary paperwork. 

Any advise would be appreciated.

Ta,
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 04.06.17 09:38 GMT
Now would.not be too soon to be speaking to Breeders about litter plans and going in waiting lists .contact the breed club they usually have a breed secretary who will.help
- By Blay [gb] Date 04.06.17 10:30 GMT Upvotes 1
Hi - definitely not too soon to be doing your research now.

As FF suggests it would be a good plan to get in touch with the Breed Club Secretaries who can advise you.

It's really important to find a good breeder who you like and trust (and who likes and trusts you!)  Many puppies from excellent breeders are booked before they are even born and it's not unusual for there to be waiting lists even before mating.

With such a numerically high breed as Labs there should be plenty of choice BUT you need to make sure both parents have had all the recommended health tests for the breed, and, ideally, additional DNA testing to ensure the puppies cannot be affected by certain inherited diseases.  So, choosing your breeder rather than just choosing a puppy is the best way to go.  This might mean waiting a while but it is well worth it to get a happy, healthy puppy of sound temperament.

Good luck with your search - exciting times!
- By Brainless [gb] Date 04.06.17 17:18 GMT
Actually earlier than this would have been good, and got you meeting potential Mum and hopefully near top of a good breeders waiting list.

For a puppy ready in September the bitch would be half way through pregnancy by now.
- By ts321 [gb] Date 04.06.17 19:51 GMT
Thanks for the replies guys. Your advise is very helpful.

I have contacted a number of breeders from the Assured Breeder section of the Kennel Club site. If anyone has any further details on how to reach out to breeders please let me know.

Cheers!
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 04.06.17 20:40 GMT Upvotes 3
Breed club and here in the breeders section . Don't worry about assured breeders only there a number of excellent breeders who chose not to join that scheme
- By KeesieKisses [gb] Date 05.06.17 07:00 GMT
I'd say start looking now! Perhaps even go along to watch some in shows to see which type you like and get talking to people in the breed who may know of litters planned

Admittedly, I waited about 8 months to get my puppy (we went through waiting for his mum to come into season, the mating and then the wait for their arrival) and he was well and truly worth it

Try and get to know the expected parents if possible and ask as many questions as you feel, be prepared to walk away from any breeder who can't answer

My aunty is going to pick up her lab puppy this week as she lost hers 2 years ago at the ripe age of 15 so I've grown up with the breed :lol:
- By MamaBas Date 05.06.17 09:33 GMT

> Don't worry about assured breeders only there a number of excellent breeders who chose not to join that scheme

How I agree with this sentence!
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Lab retriever Pup for Sept, when should I start looking?