Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Introducing a new puppy to the existing dog?
- By poodlenoodle Date 12.05.17 14:06 GMT Edited 12.05.17 14:08 GMT
Well he is named, his tags are here, his training classes are booked and his insurance is arranged, so...

Please help me plan introductions and early days/weeks of two-dog-ownership.

Existing dog is a very friendly one year old entire male standard poodle, new dog is 8 week old male standard poodle puppy. They are full biological brothers (will they be able to tell this? By scent maybe?). Existing dog is still puppyish/playful. He isn't hugely careful but has excellent bite inhibition and immediately backs off if his playmate yelps or squeaks. There is a likelihood that existing dog will be able to meet the puppy before he comes home, at the breeder's home.

So, I'm looking for how to manage the initial meetings and subsequent interactions to give the boys the best chance of becoming good friends. Any do's and do not's very welcome and thanks in advance.
- By Goldenmum [gb] Date 12.05.17 18:01 GMT
I'd say that they won't know that they are brothers. With new additions I have bought in, I introduce them in the garden and allow the older dog to lead the puppy into the house. Be careful with food making sure you feed separately and under supervision. Ensure that you give your older dog time away from the puppy a crate for the puppy is good for separating them.  Remember to take your puppy out on walks alone as well as with his brother to avoid him becoming too reliant on his older sibling.  Enjoy your baby, if sounds as though you are well prepared.
- By Jessica B Date 13.05.17 11:46 GMT Upvotes 1
I introduced a 3mth old entire girl to a 9mth old neutered girl with no problems. I would say do NOT separate them & don't let them meet only at scheduled 'meetings' - let them mix from day one. I was intending to have the new puppy crated at night but she hadn't been crate-trained as the breeder didn't believe it was good for them, so I let them roam the dog room from the second night. Ideally I would have persisted with crate training and even though she is crate-trained now, I never leave her in it longer than a few minutes as I know she's never liked it.

It sounds like you're more prepared than most! Don't overthink things but at the same time, you need to have a system in place. Even if they mix during the day, do you want them to do certain things separately? (will you spend quality time with each separately? will they walk separately? be fed separately? etc)
- By JeanSW Date 13.05.17 19:51 GMT
I have never told my dogs there is any option not to get on.  Always keeping a watchful eye, but trying not to interfere too much.  My Collies were never crated as pups, but then larger breeds are so quick at toilet training.  And your breed is super intelligent so I don't see a need for crates. 

I can only give you my experiences.  When I got my 2nd Bearded Collie I already had a 2yr old Beardie.  She hated the new pupster, jumping on the sofa while the pup couldn't get up there.  Then later hiding behind the sofa.  I didn't make a big fuss, even putting the food dish behind the sofa as if it was natural.  I think she lived behind the sofa for 2 weeks!  They turned out to be fantastic pals and it was a dream to see them racing on the beach with sheer joy on their faces. 

2 years after I got a Yorkshire Terrier bitch, and bought my first crate.  She said I don't need a crate and jumped onto a Beardies coat, hanging on while said Beardie ran hell for leather up the garden.  Eventually returning with the Yorkie still attached.  That Yorkie is now 12 years old and loves Collies.

As long as your established Poodle is able to get away for a rest from the pup, play it by ear.  Which I know you will do anyway.  Take puppy down the garden when you arrive home, letting the adult out a few minutes later.  I like the established dogs to be able to lead newcomers into "their" house.
- By poodlenoodle Date 13.05.17 21:22 GMT
I'll have a think out loud then...

I do have crates, one 30" which will do for about 5 or 6 months for the bedroom (my dog sleeps on our bedroom floor but as we have carpets upstairs I did crate him overnight until he was reliable) and a 48" which is instead of a pen downstairs and I will use for the early weeks as a means of containing the puppy for naps, a place to feed him and a place to put him when I need to go out. I do have a pen but my dog could jump into it so it's not hugely useful as a means of keeping them separate when I'm out. I am using the pen outside to cordon off a toiletting area for the puppy to be able to "get on with it" without the dog being able to distract him.

I stopped using the crates for my dog altogether at about twelve months, when I realised I hadn't shut the door for the last two months. I do find them useful early on as I have three young children who have multiple friends around at times and it is easy for a puppy to become over excited and then overtired and fractious when crowds of exciting children want to play. Putting him in a pen/crate taught the older one that he didn't HAVE to join in just because there was fun going on. I am also concerned that the puppy could be hurt while there is such a huge size difference, by rambunctious unsupervised play, so I'd much rather crate him initially when I leave them home alone.

They will be fed simultaneously where possible (obviously the pup will have 4, then 3 meals a day, the dog has 2) but with the dog in the kitchen as usual and the pup in the crate. I'll move to feeding them together in a few more months. I will treat the dog whenever the pup is fed as I use the recall whistle to summon for mealtimes and the dog will obviously come to the whistle too.

I plan to walk and train them both alone and together, as I want the puppy to be confident when out alone in the world/training class but also for him to learn the ropes from my older boy. My older boy will continue to get his long walks/field runs alone until the pup is old enough to have such long walks (rather than him having to suffice with the pups walks and his own shorter one). This will mean a period when I will have to field walk them separately each day (when the puppy can enjoy a thirty to forty minute run but not the hour and a half my dog likes), but this period will coincide with my youngest starting school so I will thankfully have time to do it.

I have arranged for a few playdates with other older vaccinated dogs so the pup will meet other dogs too, before training classes which won't be starting until he's 12-14 weeks.

Anything I've not thought of?

I suppose ultimately a lot of it will be introducing them and seeing how things develop.
- By tatty-ead [gb] Date 13.05.17 22:23 GMT Upvotes 1
Anything I've not thought of?

Only thing that came to mind when thinking about adding a pup to the mix we ever had was when an older dog had a particular VERY favourite toy and pup picked it up, may be something to consider,. Most toys were no problem just the 'special' one that was MINE
- By poodlenoodle Date 14.05.17 15:51 GMT
The only thing my boy really cares about/never ceases to tire of is playing with other dogs, no favourite toys, not possessive over food or family or me. But it's a good point, I'll keep an eye on them as they play and intervene should my older decide he especially likes something after all.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 14.05.17 17:24 GMT
I would think that it's possible your older boy might get a bit too much for the puppy and I am sure you will make sure that the pup gets plenty of rest time away from the fun and games, I have occasionally seen puppies try to tell an older dog to stop playing and it can be a touchy moment, good luck and you will surely have a lot of amazing times with you two boys.
- By tatty-ead [gb] Date 14.05.17 21:22 GMT Upvotes 1
no favourite toys

We didn't realise it was 'special' until pup tried to take off with it, as other dog - adult - was not interested in said toy :grin:
Think kids - its not special till someone else wants it , also like kids be prepared for the favourite thing to change from time to time :lol:
- By LucyDogs [gb] Date 15.05.17 15:01 GMT

>Think kids - its not special till someone else wants it

Tell me about it - my current puppy has a favourite toy, and both her mother (6 years old) and one of my other dogs (5 years old), neither of whom have been particularly interested in toys for several years, immediately decided they wanted that toy too. No major problems, but I kept finding that the puppy was chewing something she shouldn't be chewing, as one of the others had taken the toy off her. Had to buy 2 more in the end! :grin:
- By brownsugar [us] Date 12.06.17 11:11 GMT
the info was very helpful

thanks guys xx
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Introducing a new puppy to the existing dog?