Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Dog Barrier Help
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 05.05.17 12:31 GMT
I need to section off my kitchen to stop our dog getting under my feet while I am cooking. Any suggestions please on how to do this?
- By tatty-ead [gb] Date 05.05.17 13:14 GMT
Stair-gate ?
- By springfever [gb] Date 05.05.17 13:15 GMT Upvotes 2
The easiest way to do this is to teach your dog to stay in a bed while you want him out of the way. Reward heavily while on the bed, introduce a release cue and then add in distractions until he stays in the bed quite happily until you have finished what you are doing and you can release him.

I'm in the middle of teaching my dogs this at the moment and it hasn't taken very long to for my dogs to decide to sit in their beds while I am in the kitchen without me even telling them to get in there.

If you don't want to teach this, can you put a dog gate or baby gate at the doorway?
- By Nikita [gb] Date 05.05.17 13:42 GMT
As springfever says!  Or, if it's open plan/wide doorway and stairgates aren't an option, there are a few room divider options out there for pets or extra wide gates, and most gates come with extension pieces as well.
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 05.05.17 14:08 GMT
It's a room divider I'm looking for. Any suggestions where he can see us but still be safe. I'm not looking for a stair gate.
- By tigran [gb] Date 05.05.17 14:28 GMT
If you google room dividers for dogs quite a few appear. Depends how much you want to spend, can recommend Orvis as we have their dog beds but they are pricey! How there are quite a lot cheaper ones. Hope this helps....
- By Brainless [gb] Date 05.05.17 14:59 GMT Upvotes 1
I found a good one for a friend this is the smaller one, it comes with sides even wider.  this is the tall versiobn, another friend has the short one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scandinavian-Pet-Design-Extra-Tall-Flexible/dp/B06XY9FC37/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1492793831&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=extra%20wide%20tall%20pet%20gate%20black
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 05.05.17 15:24 GMT
Thanks everyone.
- By Harley Date 05.05.17 18:13 GMT Upvotes 1
I use a very similar type of baby playpen/room divider to the one in the link but not as a playpen. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6253088

I join the panels one beside the other and use it as a barrier to separate my kitchen into two areas and with the walk through gate used as the second panel in the row it is ideal for separating the dogs when needs be or if my grandaughter is at mine.

Have never used it as a playpen just as a room divider - it's very sturdy and easy to use so it is left up permanently. Dogs can see through it, the gate makes it easy to use and it was far cheaper than any other type of divider I have seen. I think the make of mine is different to that in the link but if you google playpen/room divider you should be able to find a suitable one.
- By suejaw Date 05.05.17 20:37 GMT
I've got a lindam playpen which I use as a barrier however the youngest has learnt how to jump it as it's not that high.
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 05.05.17 23:43 GMT
Aldi had the pens in a couple of weeks ago - I may be worth a look
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 06.05.17 09:57 GMT

> The easiest way to do this is to teach your dog to stay in a bed while you want him out of the way. Reward heavily while on the bed, introduce a release cue and then add in distractions until he stays in the bed quite happily until you have finished what you are doing and you can release him.

Training would normally be the way I would go. But training him isn't easy as he's vacant in the brain department. He suffers with epilepsy and he's on the highest dose and he still gets fits every couple of months. He's aged 13 now and we have had him since he was 6 months. He see's the vet regularly. It's hard to explain but he's weird. For safety sake to keep our grandchildren safe when they come round we are buying the tallest barrier from argos. When he comes out of a fit he is aggressive and once he growled aggressively at me, but I knew what to do to keep myself safe. Now when he has a fit I don't go in with him my husband deals with it. Sorry for going off subject.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 06.05.17 13:29 GMT
The one I posted is 105cm tall (just under 42 inches).
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 06.05.17 20:17 GMT

> The one I posted is 105cm tall (just under 42 inches).

Isn't that the same size as Argos?
- By Brainless [gb] Date 06.05.17 20:47 GMT
no idea lol
- By Tricolours [gb] Date 09.05.17 06:26 GMT
Thank you Harley DreamBaby is the pen we bought in the end.
- By Harley Date 09.05.17 16:43 GMT
No problem - glad you were able to get one to suit your needs :grin:
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Dog Barrier Help