Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Hefty Fines Given to Dog Owners of Dogs with No Microchips
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 03.05.17 11:41 GMT Edited 03.05.17 11:48 GMT Upvotes 2
"A PET owner has been fined more than £700 for failing to have his dog microchipped under new legislation."  Article HERE

"A dog owner's failure to get her pet micro-chipped has cost her almost £1,500. ... has been prosecuted under the Microchipping of Dogs Regulations 2015 for the second time" Article HERE

"Three dog owners in Bridlington have been hit with fines after being convicted of offences under new microchipping laws." Article HERE
- By JeanSW Date 03.05.17 12:30 GMT
I started chipping 12 years ago and I have always wondered what happens if people don't accept the new legislation.  It's reassuring to know that people are caught when they don't comply.
- By Goldmali Date 03.05.17 12:35 GMT
Thanks for that. I find it hard to get some puppy buyers to do it -just been through my Pet Log account and found several dogs that are still chipped in my name but not owned by myself. Posted one of the links on my FB.
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 03.05.17 12:50 GMT
I can't understand why people don't update it. unless I'm mistaken it only costs a one-off payment of £16 to update to Petlog premium and you can update as often as necessary and add extra details, and additional contact details. I want as much as I can do to get my dogs back if they ever got lost or stolen
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 03.05.17 13:31 GMT
It's a bit like the KC reg's  , I checked and have 32 dogs registered to me!!   Why people don't put them in their name I don't know, possibly if they never intend to breed or show they don't see the point in spending the money.  I wish there was some way of making people update their pet's chip as so many dogs are sold or found and the chip details are not updated.
- By Goldmali Date 03.05.17 14:10 GMT
At least now if you transfer KC reg first, you get the chip transfer for free. Plus get PetLog Premium free for any pup you keep.
- By Cava14Una [gb] Date 03.05.17 14:18 GMT
The law is the law we can't pick and choose which we are going to abide by.

I had my 15 year old Beardie done he died 6 weeks later. NOT saying the microchip caused it
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 03.05.17 15:14 GMT
Have recently heard from someone speaking to a dog warden they are only really bothering when a dog is found as a stray and hasn't got a chip. Vet scan only advise you to get a chip, they are not able to police this as it would be a breach of data protection
and there are no authorities wandering around checking chips
- By Brainless [gb] Date 03.05.17 20:30 GMT

> there are no authorities wandering around checking chips

Just as no-one ever checked that dogs were wearing tags (still the law) and those are visible.
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 03.05.17 21:27 GMT

> there are no authorities wandering around checking chips

This is true but, if a dog is lost, or rather found, it seems that this is how it's at least fined for the lack of.  I find it encouraging, possibly naively, that there'd be more chance of my dogs coming back to me if lost as  checking for chips may be more routine.
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 03.05.17 23:16 GMT
I don't disagree debbo but I just find it ridulous that we have these laws and then no ways to enforce them .let's put mk ey into things that matter and can be enforced
- By MamaBas Date 04.05.17 10:43 GMT
Bit misleading the subject here - most of these cases involved people who didn't UPDATE their details, not that they had no microchip.   I do find it rather much having to pay a further £16 (or what it is now with Petlog?) to change details much as any further changes are done free and you could pay the 'premium charge' at the outset which gives you any further changes done for free.

And this law isn't being 'policed'.   It's only if the dog is picked up as a stray that this is checked.   It might be as well to occasionally have your vet check for the 'chip, just in case it's not where it should be!
- By Wait Ok [gb] Date 04.05.17 12:36 GMT
I understand that it is the "breeders" responsibility to microchip all puppies by the time they are 8 weeks of age, and that the breeder is the first "owner". Should it not be the breeder that gets fined now and not the new owner / purchaser if a sold puppy is not chipped ?

I realise that there are still a lot of dogs around that were not chipped before this law was put in place.
- By Tommee Date 04.05.17 20:58 GMT Edited 04.05.17 21:00 GMT Upvotes 2
The Law states

"Change of keeper

8.—(1) From 6 April 2016, where a dog is transferred to a new keeper, the new keeper must, unless the previous keeper has already done so, record their full name, address and contact telephone number (if any) and any change in the dog’s name with the database on which the dog’s details are recorded pursuant to regulation 3(5)(b).

The onus is on the new keeper to record changes not the previous keeper

Puppies that are not chipped should NOT be sold, so both new owner & breeder are breaking the law
- By Goldmali Date 04.05.17 22:20 GMT
I do find it rather much having to pay a further £16 (or what it is now with Petlog?) to change details much as any further changes are done free and you could pay the 'premium charge' at the outset which gives you any further changes done for free.

Well it will eventually catch up for KC registered dogs. Transfer ownership and you get PetLog Premium for free. Keep a pup you bred and you also get PetLog Premium for free. But best of all, now the breeder's details are recorded for life, which wasn't the case before.
- By Goldmali Date 04.05.17 22:24 GMT
I don't disagree debbo but I just find it ridulous that we have these laws and then no ways to enforce them .

I don't know about anyone else's vets, but mine have carefully checked that all pups I have brought in have been microchipped, since a year before the new law. I brought two pups in for first vaccinations today. Both were seen a week ago for their health certificates and had their chips checked then (and noted on the certs). They were still checked again today.
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 05.05.17 23:28 GMT Edited 05.05.17 23:32 GMT
The chip moving has been a worry for me as my Pap 's migrated to his right. I have been told that if the person who scans has been trained properly it should be picked up by them as - there's a procedure they have to follow l I was told by the very caring MediVet vet and technician - whether it's followed I live in hope
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Hefty Fines Given to Dog Owners of Dogs with No Microchips