Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Would you have two puppies together?
Poll Would you have two puppies together?
I've done it before & I'd do it again 12 33%
I would love to 0 0%
I like the idea but I probably wouldn't 6 17%
Never again! 18 50%
- By Jessica B Date 01.05.17 06:56 GMT
I've seen a lot of different opinions about this here on champdogs, so I thought a poll was required :lol: Is it really a bad idea to have two puppies (less than 12mths apart) together, or can it work out?
- By MamaBas Date 01.05.17 07:39 GMT Upvotes 1
We almost always ran on at least 2 promising puppies from our litters - with adults around at least the puppies could be with each other.  But I was breeding, not just a pet owner buying in.    I only once sold two puppies to the same person, a fellow-breeder but as it turned out, that was a big mistake and isn't something I'd EVER do again, even if I was still breeding!

It's usually not a good idea to sell/buy two puppies at the same time, same litter or not, for the average inexperienced pet owner.   Get one, and if it all works out, by another year is the better time to think about having a second dog.   We bought our second hound about 10 months after the first.
- By Jodi [gb] Date 01.05.17 08:37 GMT Upvotes 1
I voted never again.
I had two together about 15 months apart and although it was lovely to see them playing together and having fun, it was very hard work and I know my limits especially as fundamentally I'm a lazy person:roll::lol:

The breeder I bought my current dog from kept three from the litter which must have been hard work.
- By Jessica B Date 01.05.17 08:52 GMT

> The breeder I bought my current dog from kept three from the litter which must have been hard work.

The breeder of my first dog kept two from the same litter - she has always been adamant they've been fine growing up together. I can testify as I see them both regularly and they're lovely dogs, very calm and sedate, unlike my scatty spaniel! Perhaps she was just lucky in picking out the two laid-back ones...
- By Tectona [gb] Date 01.05.17 09:10 GMT
I currently have two pups by my boy. They are exceptional circumstances as I am running one on for someone else. They are 5.5 months old. It's not massively difficult but I wouldn't do it again unless there were exceptional circumstances (i.e. I wouldn't CHOOSE to keep two for myself), because I would like to have more time to focus on one pup.
I did put a few measures in place to make things easier; I took my pup, a dog, home two weeks before the bitch pup, my pup sleeps in my bedroom with my other dogs and bitch pup sleeps in a different room, pups are caged separately in my van where they can't see each other. They do some walks together, some on their own. Training is done separately.
Apart from when they get very OTT playing and I have to stop them before I murder them, it's not been much more difficult than one pup. Just much more time consuming. They play together a lot, cuddle up to sleep together sometimes, but are happy to be apart.
It's generally not a job for the average pet owner.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 01.05.17 09:33 GMT
At the moment its possible that I'm keeping 3 girls from the litter (just waiting for final evaluation with fellow breeders later this week). When they are 3-4 months old I will be making the very final decision whether to keep 1 or 2 (hopefully not all 3!)

It is very hard work given also that they are completely mad bouncy terriers. They are 8 weeks old already and we have started a regime to build up appropriate expectations. Most of the time they still spend together but I've started introducing a little time apart every day, at the moment dividing their playpen into three compartments which I then lift and it is back to one large area for them to play. And we started table training, which at the moment the idea is to teach them to be calm when asked. This is just the beginning though, so much more to come.

I do envy their mother.... When she enters their pen and they are bouncy, she just needs to issue a light growl and the pups turn into gentle angels. I tried growling too but they just openly laugh at me :roll::lol:
- By Lexy [gb] Date 01.05.17 09:50 GMT Edited 01.05.17 09:53 GMT

> At the moment its possible that I'm keeping 3 girls from the litter (just waiting for final evaluation with fellow breeders later this week). When they are 3-4 months old I will be making the very final decision whether to keep 1 or 2 (hopefully not all 3!)

I kept 3 bitches from the same litter who are now 4.5 years old. I would never keep 3 again(not that I am having anymore litters), they all had different good points(show wise) as pups which is why I didn't let any go BUT in hindsight I do regret keeping all 3... I have had opportunity for letting one or more go but I wont do that now at their age(have rehomed when no more than a year old). We have kept litter siblings many times before but only 2 & they were never any trouble, so why would 3 be any different...yes they are, very much so!!

I would also never let a new puppy owner have litter siblings...& would probably think twice, even if it was someone who had the breed before.
- By Lily Mc [gb] Date 01.05.17 09:53 GMT Upvotes 4
No option here for 'no, never have, never would' - I find one at a time quite challenging enough.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 01.05.17 10:25 GMT

> they all had different good points(show wise) as pups

Similar situation here, we have a great variety of type (=style) in the breed, and girls 1 and 2 appear to be of different types and both show good promise. Girl 3 looks similar type to 1, and not only she shows promise but also looks so much like her father who is an exceptionally nice dog, however girl 3 might grow too big. Decisions decisions! :smile:

Once they are a bit older however I'll make a choice, their movement will be clearer by then and this is one thing I was hoping to improve on in this litter, so we will see.
- By Merlot [gb] Date 01.05.17 10:57 GMT Upvotes 6
I need a "never" vote as I never have and never would...
- By suejaw Date 01.05.17 11:19 GMT
Same as Merlot and Lily Mc
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 01.05.17 11:20 GMT
Yep the poll is missing this option... clearly "never again" is very different from "never have done and won't".
- By Jessica B Date 01.05.17 11:56 GMT

> Yep the poll is missing this option...

Sorry guys! Clearly I wasn't thinking of all the different options!!
- By Goldmali Date 01.05.17 12:39 GMT
I would rather go to the dentist. Have done it far too many times out of necessity -i.e. a home for a large litter fell through, or similar.

There are lots of articles on the subject. The one linked to below mentions studies done by guide dogs in the US which showed that when they placed two puppies with the same puppy walker, one always failed the assessment later on due to temperament issues -even when both pups were ideal to start with.

https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 01.05.17 14:07 GMT

> The one linked to below mentions studies done by guide dogs in the US which showed that when they placed two puppies with the same puppy walker, one always failed the assessment later on due to temperament issues -even when both pups were ideal to start with.

I wish these articles cited their sources, as in which study exactly, where has it been published...

The difference here is "temperament issues" must be taken in the context of the assessment of guide dogs. It may well be that single puppy develops say a stronger bond/attachment to humans, after all there is a reason these puppies are removed from their mom and siblings at 6 weeks old. The point is, a temperament trait that is an "issue" for a guide dog, may not be an "issue" at all for a dog who is an ordinary pet/companion.

Again though it would be nice to see a study they talk about.
- By MamaBas Date 01.05.17 15:24 GMT

> The breeder I bought my current dog from kept three from the litter which must have been hard work.

We did and it was :grin:   We had 9 in that litter and I'd picked 2, bitches but then the very experienced owner of the stud we'd used came to see them and said I'd be nuts to let the best dog go .... so he didn't go.   They were part of those we brought back to the UK from Canada and although sadly the males' bite went edge to edge (not allowed in the UK but it is in Canada) the two girls were successful in the ring here, one taking her UK title + 3 RCCs.   The other her Stud Book quali. although sadly for her, she was always over-shadowed by her sister.   I let the boy be used by a fellow breeder, with the full knowledge of his bite situation, and he's back of quite a number of UK hounds, including my current boy who was a buy-in after my line ended now.

ps   I don't really 'fit' any of the options in this poll, so I've not responded.
- By Nikita [gb] Date 01.05.17 16:12 GMT
I did it with my first two pups, although not from the same litter - different breeds and 2.5 months between them.

Never again, my last pup was hard enough work by herself!  I don't have the time and energy I had back then so I'd be doing pups a disservice if I took two on now.  Heck, I would be with one so it's adults only!
- By nesstaffy [gb] Date 01.05.17 17:10 GMT
No, as seen want can go wrong and im not gonna take the chance to find out in the first place
- By Goldmali Date 01.05.17 18:49 GMT
Monkeyj for what it is worth I have noticed that with litter mates one always end up more confident than the other. Just my own personal observations.
- By Tommee Date 01.05.17 19:17 GMT
sadly the males' bite went edge to edge (not allowed in the UK but it is in Canada)
You mean your dog would be disqualified from the show ring in the UK? I thought the UK KC breed standards didn't have disqualifying faults. Can't see how a level bite would stop a dog tracking
- By JeanSW Date 01.05.17 20:18 GMT Upvotes 1
Quite a few times I've kept the whole litter.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 01.05.17 20:42 GMT
Too many variables to answer this as it depends on available resources: time, number of people involved, energy levels of people and breed, breed/mixes of breed, ages of other dogs (if any) purpose (pet/gun dog/obedience...) environment/facilities
- By Jessica B Date 01.05.17 22:10 GMT

> Quite a few times I've kept the whole litter.

If ever I bred from my 'rare breed' bitch, I'd be tempted to do the same (if she only had three or four puppies)! Unfortunately my girl was one of nine, so I expect she'd have a large litter too.
- By Jessica B Date 01.05.17 22:21 GMT

> time, number of people involved, energy levels of people and breed, breed/mixes of breed, ages of other dogs (if any) purpose (pet/gun dog/obedience...) environment/facilities

Well, here is my setup - not ideal but works well:

Time: work from home with flexible hours so time is not an issue.

Number of people involved: I do the majority of the work, but family members help out if needed.

Energy levels of people & breed: both my breeds are quite laid back, needing a decent daily walk but also happy to lie around. I couldn't cope with a dog that needed constant stimulation...

Breeds: Cocker & Field, looking at getting another one of each in the next 12 months.

Ages of other dogs: first dog 3yrs old, second 2.5yrs.

Purpose: originally intended for showing, but realistically they will always be pets :lol: Not sure yet if I'd show a new puppy.

Environment/facilities: Considering I don't have dog parks or off-lead walks at my disposal, I'd want to build a small kennels & an off-lead run. Also more crates! (one for house, one for dog room, one for car).
- By MamaBas Date 02.05.17 08:10 GMT

> <code>sadly the males' bite went edge to edge (not allowed in the UK but it is in Canada)</code><br />You mean your dog would be disqualified from the show ring in the UK? I thought the UK KC breed standards didn't have disqualifying faults. Can't see how a level bite would stop a dog tracking

No 'disqualification'.   But it wouldn't be placed highly!!    Most people wouldn't bother to put a dog with an incorrect bite, according to the Breed Standard, in the ring in the first place.   I showed my boy twice, mainly because he was an import and I wanted him seen ...... but his mouth fault was picked up by the judge the first time and he stood down the line.   The second time he won his class but when taken in for BOB, the judge, quite wrongly btw,  asked me how much winning he'd done ('he's lovely') and when I (stupidly!) told her his bite had held him back, she blanched and didn't look at him again  LOL.    Both were Open shows and after that, I didn't bother showing him again. :grin:
- By JeanSW Date 02.05.17 14:12 GMT
MamaBas I've always thought that honesty is the best policy.  In your case perhaps you would have been better not bringing something to the notice of the judge.  :grin:

He won his class so you possibly lost out due to your honesty.  I would have kicked myself.  :-(
- By JeanSW Date 02.05.17 14:18 GMT Edited 02.05.17 14:21 GMT Upvotes 1
Jessica - the average litter for my breed is 1-3 pups.  I kept every pup that my top bitch whelped.  She had 3 litters of 2 pups.

I've kept 2 bitches from other litters a couple of times.  Mainly to add to my aim for a totally self whelping line.  I fully accept that this would be a no go if perhaps I had Brainless' breed.  Like me, once she has decided to keep a pup, then it stays for life.  Even if turns out to be no good for the ring.  I have several bitches that have never had a litter because they didn't turn out as well as I expected.  They just stay as "aunties."  :grin:

Just to show how much easier it is to keep pups with my breed.  I have a humungous dog bed (for giant breeds) with a duvet in it.  You can comfortably sleep 14 Chi's in it.  So I only count that as 1 dog.  :grin:  :grin:
- By Brainless [gb] Date 02.05.17 15:24 GMT Upvotes 1
You haven't GIVEN AN OPTION OF DEFINITE NO.

I HAVE AHD TWO PAIRS LESS THATN 18 MONTHS APART AND THAT WAS BAD ENOUGH.

My current pup will be two this month and only just becoming adult.  Maybe I simply don't really like the puppy/adolescent stage.
- By St.Domingo Date 02.05.17 15:32 GMT Upvotes 3
I'd vote 'no' if there was that option.
Never have, never would.
- By MamaBas Date 03.05.17 10:16 GMT

> He won his class so you possibly lost out due to your honesty.  I would have kicked myself.  :-(

He clearly won his class because of his overall quality - and yes, I did kick myself afterwards, but on the other hand, couldn't help smiling as I drove home, because the judge should have checked!!   And clearly she had to put a wrong right (by ignoring him in the BOB line-up) because her husband was judging the Group!!!
- By malwhit [gb] Date 03.05.17 10:20 GMT
I would never have 2  pups at 8 weeks old together, but I got a 3 month old male when the bitch was 10 months. She was sensible and helped with house training and walking on the lead.

My current 18 month old is still daft and I would think getting a pup would be a bad idea!!
- By Jessica B Date 03.05.17 22:19 GMT

> Jessica - the average litter for my breed is 1-3 pups.  > Even if turns out to be no good for the ring.  I have several bitches that have never had a litter because they didn't turn out as well as I expected.  They just stay as "aunties."  :grin:

thanks for your thoughts Jean. I've never thought of it like that - even if my girl isn't 'good enough' to breed from, there's no way I'd rehome her so I guess she would be an 'aunty' to a new puppy.

> I have a humungous dog bed (for giant breeds) with a duvet in it.  You can comfortably sleep 14 Chi's in it.  So I only count that as 1 dog.  :grin: :grin:

Haha I'll remember that!!
- By poodlenoodle Date 07.05.17 20:59 GMT Upvotes 1
Ask me again in a year! :grin:

I'm about to have a second, 13 months younger than my first (although obviously my older one will be 15 months when he comes home.

I am expecting a lot of hard work and training for the first year, as I will be starting a puppy and polishing/finishing an adolescent. But I'm also looking forward to the joy and convenience, in a few years, of having two at the same age and stage. If it weren't for my exceptional dog, who is turning into the autism support animal we hoped for, having a full biological brother on offer, I would wait another year. And in fact I'm not sure I would get two, if I didn't have two autistic children.
- By Lexy [gb] Date 08.05.17 05:59 GMT
I was thinking again only yesterday about this thread. I think there is a difference in breeding & keeping 2 from your litter. I would be highly unlikely to buy in 2 from the same litter...
- By Needa [gb] Date 08.05.17 18:41 GMT
I have had numerous litter mates in pairs, kept at least two from each of my litters and four from one. I have also had two pups at the same age bought in from different litters.
The only problem I've had was helping them through the inevitable loss of their sibling/friend, but this is also a problem when they lose a parent so it's not unique to pups brought up together.
I've never experienced the so-called "littermate syndrome" and I've found littermates work very well together as they are usually closely matched in stride and temperament. They are easier to look after too because they can play together on their own terms.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 08.05.17 18:55 GMT
Breed may play a part, as I have found even 15 and 19 months apart, walking two adolescent/pups together was not a pleasure.

My breed are very much pups to two years of age, and only medium (18 - 20kg) but strong.

I do like to walk all my dogs (up to 6) together if possible so they have maximum walk time.
- By poodlenoodle Date 08.05.17 19:35 GMT
I was thinking this too Lexy, as I was thinking of the difference having the mum and aunties and maybe even dad there would make. I can see puppies raised together in the home where they were bred, with their parent/s and other extended family would be very different to two coming together to somewhere where they were either the only newcomers or the only dogs full stop.
Up Topic Dog Boards / General / Would you have two puppies together?