Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Looking for a Chocolate Lab. Pref, East Midlands or LD
- By booktrunk [gb] Date 20.04.17 14:59 GMT
Hi. 

I own a 10yo chocolate lab and am looking for another younger sister for her. (Preferably another Chocolate, but black is good, so is blond, but blond hairs everywhere would drive me mad, I can pretend I don't see dark ones).

I'm going to the lake district for a week in Mid September so I don't think it's fair to take a new pup there as she will be stuck in the house most of the time.

So I guess i'm either after an older pup who will be able to slowly wander around the hills in Sept, or not actually looking to pick one up until when i'm back in Sept.

So possibly a bit early to be looking now, but want to put out feelers now.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 20.04.17 16:59 GMT Upvotes 1
Definitely not too early.  Good breeders like to have a waiting list before the bitch is mated, so we are talking about 6 months or more before pup comes home.

It's also more important to choose the breeder, and with their help choose a suitable puppy from the litter.

so what you want to do is find a breeder with the s the/type of Labrador you are looking for, meet the mother and other relatives and if possible the sire.

This can often be accomplished by visiting a show, and speaking to owners of dogs that you like, and see who bred them and who is the sire of the ones you like best. From the latter you can find out if any bitches have or are due to visit their dogs, and arrange to meet the breeder of the potential litters.

Of course you can ask if any bitches you fancy are due to be bred from this year.

The breed clubs are likely to have a list of club members who are breeders.

Of course you should ensure that both parents are fully health tested.  That is Hip and Elbow scored and DNA tested for issues affecting Labradors such as prcd-PRA etc, at least one parent must be clear for each DNA testable condition.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Looking for a Chocolate Lab. Pref, East Midlands or LD