Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Flying tails
- By bostieboo Date 18.04.17 13:07 GMT
Is there anyway you can train a dog not to fly it's tail in the ring?
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 18.04.17 13:28 GMT
"Clicker" trainers claim they can do it. I expect it will take some time and perhaps ingenuity, but possible I guess! :smile:
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 18.04.17 13:28 GMT
P.s. how old is the dog?
- By Jodi [gb] Date 18.04.17 15:24 GMT
I've heard the phrase before and I think I know what it means, but could someone explain exactly what is happening when a dog flies its tail
- By Tectona [gb] Date 18.04.17 16:20 GMT Upvotes 2
It means that the tail is carried too high.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 18.04.17 16:29 GMT
Keep very calm, don't use toys or titbits and when you practice running him, stop if he flies the tail and walk until it goes down again, it might also help not to stand him near another male as that can cause the tail to go up. Some show dogs are routinely excited by the handler before running in order to get them to show off but a tail flying dog needs calm reassurance.
- By MamaBas Date 19.04.17 12:06 GMT
I don't know (because we want tails to be held up, if only into a sabre shape - NOT a t-pot tail - which has more to do with where the set on is).   But I think perhaps, keeping at it may mean as he matures and gets more used to the scene, he may settle down a bit.   As sai, I suggest more handlers need to gee up their exhibits, than the opposite.  :grin:
- By poodlenoodle Date 19.04.17 19:41 GMT
But don't dogs do this when they're feeling happy? Mine does (standard poodle)! Why is it not liked in the show ring?
- By Lexy [gb] Date 19.04.17 20:28 GMT
It can very much breed dependant, some breeds can carry their tails high & not be penalised for it...whilst others its considered as a negative....
- By Brainless [gb] Date 19.04.17 21:10 GMT
It depends on what tail carriage is required by the standard. 

My breed, we definitely want a  high tailset, (and tightly curled), yours high tail set too.
On the other hand most herding breeds are supposed to have a more sloping croup and carry tails down.

Where tails are not supposed to be carried above level of the back, some dogs may simply have tail too high set (faulty construction) and fly them, and others set correctly bu over excitement/aggression/horniness causes it.
- By Tommee Date 20.04.17 16:30 GMT
If it's a Border Collie you are showing it can depend on the dog's breeding. Many showline dogs have had a low tail carriage bred into them, working line dogs will carry their tail down when working as they concentrate on the stock.
Have never shown my dogs as they are working dogs, but have seen lots of show dogs both in & out of the ring
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Flying tails