Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Rosettes vs ribbons
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 16.04.17 11:05 GMT Upvotes 1
Am I the only one to wish we had ribbons instead of rosettes in UK :smile: Such as they do in US at AKC shows.

Just been thinking that rosettes even the small ones are still large and awkward compared to ribbons. I do keep the most important ones (from biggest wins), but often even smaller wins or placings I find memorable for one or another reason and I'd love to keep a memory, but don't due to rosettes being rosettes that I wouldn't have a place to keep them.

I know some people hang them on walls in their sitting room/grooming room, but the rosettes get dusty and things, with all those folds, which to me sort of defeats the point of treasuring a memory.... Whereas if we had good quality printed ribbons, with date and name of the show and placing and title, which you can place in a neat folder... wouldn't that be perfect????
- By Goldmali Date 16.04.17 13:01 GMT Upvotes 1
I agree to a large extent. However Bournemouth did it one year (for BP/BOB/BOS I think it was) and people were complaining a lot. The same year WKC had small ribbons attached to their prize cards but still rosettes for the main wins -that I think was perfect.

I put all my BOB/BD/BB/RBD/RBB cards in a folder which is ideal (also all Crufts place ones) -it's a shame they only do them at champ shows and that there is not a standard one for BP/BV as well. Then again those only really apply to non CC wins which not all breeds have, and the CCs/RCCs I like to frame.
- By Roxylola [gb] Date 16.04.17 14:18 GMT
Have you seen the cushions you can get made? I know a lady who has had a few done, they look fabulous
- By RozzieRetriever Date 16.04.17 15:12 GMT Upvotes 1
I don't care whether it's a rosette or a ribbon, I'm so gobsmacked if we get one that's all that matters! I do feel a bit miffed if it's just a card, but I do understand why some shows do that.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 16.04.17 15:45 GMT

> The same year WKC had small ribbons attached to their prize cards but still rosettes for the main wins -that I think was perfect.

Yes we went to WKC last year and got the ribbon! But, I thought it was a bit poor quality (and glued to a card... eh) The printing was flakey, and the ribbon itself could have been a touch thicker material. And there was no date of the show printed on the ribbon, which I think is essential for a keepsake - a friend in US recently posted a picture of a ribbon they won at a major show many years ago with their foundation dog, and next to it a ribbon they've won last year at the same show with a descendant of that line, I thought it was so great to be able to have that tangible memory and testament to the years of breeding!

At some shows in Europe they have a "prize/trophy stand" where people can go after their judging has finished (usually after 2-3pm), and collect a trophy/rosette depending on what place they've won. This could be implemented in UK, with the advantage that those people who do not need rosettes would not be collecting them (so saving environment and the organisers' money). And have ribbons in the ring for main placings.
- By Goldmali Date 16.04.17 21:52 GMT
At some shows in Europe they have a "prize/trophy stand" where people can go after their judging has finished (usually after 2-3pm), and collect a trophy/rosette depending on what place they've won. This could be implemented in UK, with the advantage that those people who do not need rosettes would not be collecting them (so saving environment and the organisers' money).

I've only experienced Sweden and France, and there you had to pay if you wanted a rosette. Which you can do here at most championship shows anyway. It is however the way it works at cat shows here -but then you do pay a much higher entry fee than for dog shows.
- By MamaBas Date 17.04.17 07:39 GMT
It doesn't make a difference to me - winning is winning.    I have a couple of big boxes full of ribbons and rosettes from our winnings in Canada and here in the UK, down in the garage.   I know I should throw them but still can't bring myself to do so.   I do have the biggest rosettes (from both counties) on display however.  Such memories!
- By Agility tervs [gb] Date 17.04.17 08:50 GMT Upvotes 1
I'm the same MamaBas. 40 years of rosettes from first obedience and then agility and a few from Tayo in breed. My dogs worked hard for them so how can I throw them away. The most recent are on the wall on a holder my daughter bought me.
- By Cava14Una [gb] Date 17.04.17 10:11 GMT
I have all the rosettes won by my horse dogs cats and rats over the last 40 years.
- By Harley Date 17.04.17 17:45 GMT
I keep mine in a large glass vase - I do agility and my oldest dog has now retired - and he literally had hundreds of them. I have kept all those that have a special meaning and they look good layered inside the glass vase. The others I give to rescues etc for recycling for their own shows. All first, second and third rosettes are on display in a cabinet with the trophies he won.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Rosettes vs ribbons