Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / My Dog Bit Another Dog - Advice?
- By tshipton [gb] Date 19.03.17 14:11 GMT
Can you please advise me. My dog bit another dog? She was off the lead. The other dog came running towards my dog, my dog did not run towards the other dog. The owners of the other dog where a fair distance away. The other dog caught up to my dog and ran past her left shoulder. My dog bit the other on the bum. The other dog ended up going to the vet. I am prepared to pay half of the fees. I do feel that both us owners where at fault not just me. Because my dog didn’t go running up to the other dog bite it. The other dog came running up to her. I wouldn’t let my dog just go running up to another it doesn’t know! Her dog and mine should have been on leads. Should I be obliged to pay vet fees in full? Like I said I am prepared to pay half.
- By St.Domingo Date 19.03.17 15:07 GMT
Gosh this is hard isn't it. I don't know about the legal angle but, at the end of the day, both dogs were off lead and so you could say not under control.
If the other owners came on here and said that their dog ran up to yours to play and yours turned around and bit theirs, i would say that you should pay the lot. But you say that theirs ran up to yours, yours obviously didn't want to play and so struck out.

I personally think that you shouldn't pay anything. Both dogs were off lead and theirs approached yours. However, you could accept some responsibility as yours was also off lead, and pay half.
My dog isnt interested in others and hates other dogs running up, friendly or not. I hate it when mine runs away petrified and the other owner is either ignoring the situation and on their phone, or comes over saying that their dog just wants to play. WELL MINE DOESN'T SO KEEP YOURS UNDER CONTROL. My dog didn't approach yours.

What I would be more concerned about is the reaction of your dog and how you can prevent this happening again. You don't want your dog to be known as a dog attacker and constantly paying vet bills !!
Has your dog done this before ? What was different about today, did it come over aggressively ?
- By chaumsong Date 19.03.17 16:23 GMT Edited 19.03.17 16:27 GMT Upvotes 1
I would pay the full vet fees, the other dog just ran past and yours bit it. These things happen but I think the responsible thing to do is pay the vet bill and muzzle your dog in future.

I was walking with my niece and a friend a couple of days ago, my nieces rescue lurcher was playing with my friends whippet, the lurcher nipped the whippet in play but whippets have terribly soft skin and poor Patch ended up with a 50p size hole in her side! My niece paid the vet bill in full, even though her dog was only playing and her lurcher is now wearing a muzzle when off lead to stop that happening again.

I had a borzoi that bit another dog years ago, it didn't need vet treatment but for the rest of his life the borzoi wore a muzzle when off lead.

Normal, happy, friendly dogs should not be bitten for simply running past another dog. Normal dogs should not bite another dog just because it runs past them. My older girls will tell dogs off if they harrass them, one free sniff then a telling off, but they've never hurt or marked another dog, it's just a telling off.

I'm a firm believer that once a dog has injured another dog (especially if it needs vet treatment) then you must make absolutely sure it doesn't happen again.
- By monkeyj [gb] Date 19.03.17 16:49 GMT

> Normal, happy, friendly dogs should not be bitten for simply running past another dog. Normal dogs should not bite another dog just because it runs past them. My older girls will tell dogs off if they harrass them, one free sniff then a telling off, but they've never hurt or marked another dog, it's just a telling off.

Does that include situations where say my dog is on lead, and another off-lead dog runs not "simply past" but "at" my dog, swerving the last second. Some dogs like to do this, and they like to growl and appear threatening while doing it, even though they would never put their threats into action.

My terrier male will bite in such situations. He has absolutely stable temperament, he is a happy and patient dog, but he is a male terrier and he knows it. He would not get agitated, he wouldn't bark, he would just pause still like a hunter following the other dog's approach and strike in the right moment.

I know he can do it, I can prevent it but in certain circumstances I won't. Once I was out with a young pup on the lead and a huge overweight black labrador did this trick and scared the puppy. The owner's reaction was, "he is just playing, he would never bite". Well that's just doesn't begin to cut it. Couple of months later I was out with my male, and the same dog did the same trick to him. Only this time my male stuck his teeth in the the labrador causing him to yelp and pee and run away tail tucked in. I've no idea how bad the damage was, somehow the owner never suggested that I paid any vet fees. Not that I would have :smile:
- By tshipton [gb] Date 19.03.17 17:07 GMT
Thank you for response. No she has never done this before. We were around 50ft walking away from the my dog was just sniffing the ground and then continued to walk ahead. When the other dog ran past her left side, how was my dog not to know what this dog was going to do. And why would someone let their dog go running to say hello to other dogs it does not know. I certainly wouldn't, you don't know how that dog is going to react....and I do feel that they are half responsible for their own dog, as I am of mine. My dog is normally on the lead when walking towards other dogs, because I don't know the other dogs. She was only off because we where so far away, and that I accept responsibility for.
- By tshipton [gb] Date 19.03.17 17:21 GMT
Thank you for your answer and I fully accept responsibility of my dogs actions. She has never do this before. We where walking away from the other dog we where 50 ft away my dog never saw the other until it ran past her, she could have thought that dog was going to attack her, you just do know how other dogs react.  To me the other dogs owners also have a responsibility to their dog and it was nieve of them to let their dog come running to mine in the first place. If I was walking towards their dog my dog I guarantee would have been on a lead and I do this all the time no matter what and out of respect of not putting my dog in danger.  Your advise I will take on board thank you.
- By tshipton [gb] Date 19.03.17 17:45 GMT
Thanks again. I will wait and see what happens x
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 19.03.17 19:10 GMT
Talk to Trevor cooper dog law he has a help line.i am sure he will tell u both the legal angle and how u could deal with this. I am pretty sure that under the DDA dog in dog attacks are not an offense
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 20.03.17 10:11 GMT Upvotes 4

> My dog bit the other on the bum

the other dog was retreating when your dog bit it. Personally, I would pay the bill and hope that is the end of the matter.
- By MamaBas Date 20.03.17 10:47 GMT Edited 20.03.17 10:51 GMT
Trying to keep the Libra in me uppermost (I'm a cusp baby and so half Libra, half Scorpio, each giving me different approaches to a problem :razz:) I'd suggest that as the other dog was running past when your dog, apparently, bit it, then the fault probably will be seen as your dog's fault.   In which case th cost of the vet bill should be picked up by you, totally.   You MUST see the bill btw!   What sort of injury/cost is involved here?

Yes the owner of the other dog should have made sure their dog DIDN'T run at (or past) another dog - it always takes two to tango.  So there is some degree of fault on the part of the other owner who should have been making sure their dog wasn't ever in that situation.   Many dogs would react to another dog running up to, or past, them.   Not all dogs would bite however, especially not on the backside - when the other dog has gone by!

I am concerned about muzzle-wearing.  With a timid dog, being 'defenceless' could make them worse temperamentally, even if it would stop the ABILITY to bite.

Two wrongs - the other owner for letting her dog get that far away and running at other dogs, and you for having a dog who bit.

Is this owner coming at you over the vet costs?

"I am pretty sure that under the DDA dog in dog attacks are not an offense"   Actually these days, the police ARE taking far more notice of dog on dog attacks than in the past UK).   And if they know where the owner of an attacking dog lives, will be talking to them - but it wasn't their dog who attacked in this case!
- By JoStockbridge [gb] Date 20.03.17 22:04 GMT Upvotes 1
If I was you I would pay the full bill if they ask. Have they asked?
Yes they shouldn't let their dog run up to unknown dogs but at the end of the day both dogs were not on leads and your dog Bit and injured this dog who ran past it. So I'm guessing the other dog didn't touch your dog? and yours wasn't simply giving the other dog a warning if it requires vet attention?
- By JoStockbridge [gb] Date 20.03.17 22:15 GMT

> Does that include situations where say my dog is on lead, and another off-lead dog runs not "simply past" but "at" my dog, swerving the last second. Some dogs like to do this, and they like to growl and appear threatening while doing it, even though they would never put their threats into action.

Simmaler use to happen to my girl at flyball, a dog on the team on his way back from the box would swerve growling/snarling at the next dog running. But as we had another dog who had to run last and due to another on the team who always hated him and had its own issues this dog would have to run first. My girl was the only one who could run against him as the other dogs were too afraid to get a descent change over or not run around the first jump where as mine would just blank him. (The owner was working to fix his issue).
Eventualy mine started getting wound up and one competition I let her go he swerved at her, she dodged him then skidded to a stop at the first jump, looked at the box then turned around and ran after the dog to give him a piece of her mind. But it was all noise (handbags at dawn) no injuries and all forgotten within a few minutes.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / My Dog Bit Another Dog - Advice?