Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Breed you would like to see WIN CRUFTS 2017 Best In Show?
- By compassion [gb] Date 09.03.17 09:53 GMT
Which breed would you like to see WIN Best In Show at CRUFTS 2017  ....?

I would love to see a good moving German Shepherd with a more level back win it, but what's the odds of this, every year all I can do is hope  :grin:
- By Cava14Una [gb] Date 09.03.17 10:27 GMT Upvotes 3
Hovawart my friend brought them into the country and used to travel to shows with her. Lovely looking dogs really clever and versatile too
- By malwhit [gb] Date 09.03.17 11:49 GMT Upvotes 2
Something normal that nobody can get upset or annoyed about
- By Goldmali Date 09.03.17 12:28 GMT Upvotes 2
Any except mine......
- By MamaBas Date 09.03.17 12:51 GMT Upvotes 3

> Any except mine......

Ditto - I always shudder at the thought of a Basset winning through (UNLIKELY) because the only plus is for the winning exhibitor/exhibit.   Far too often people see BIS Crufts and WANT ONE.  Which immediately means BYBs go into overdrive churning out puppies of that breed.

I just hope whatever breed wins, it's a worthy example of its breed and shows well.
- By Merlot [gb] Date 09.03.17 12:54 GMT
Don't care what breed as long as the winner is healthy, moves well, is sound, happy, un-exaggerated, well handled and is of a breed that is easy to live with (For the idiot JP who just want "One like the Crufts winner")
- By rachelsetters Date 09.03.17 12:59 GMT
Indeed :)
I think it could be one from the hound group - beagle, whippet or PBGV
Maybe the Maltese

Rather do like the Irish Setter that's done well this year too
- By chaumsong Date 09.03.17 13:09 GMT Edited 09.03.17 13:11 GMT

> Hovawart my friend brought them into the country and used to travel to shows with her.

I remember seeing hovawarts for the first time at an exemption show in Scotland, maybe either Dalkeith or Queens Park in Glasgow. Maybe 88/early 90s? Would that be your friend?

I don't mind who wins but similar to what Merlot says a breed that is easy to live with and non dog aggressive would be great as no doubt they'll be in demand.
- By Cava14Una [gb] Date 09.03.17 14:32 GMT Upvotes 1
I would think so. Probably black and gold and blacks at that time don't think she had a blonde then. I may well have been there too with either Boxers or Boxers and a Beardie.
- By Goldmali Date 09.03.17 14:46 GMT
My guess is that one of the two Papillons will win.
- By poodlenoodle Date 09.03.17 16:23 GMT
I'd like a schnauzer or mini schnauzer to win. No particular reason, I just quite like them.
- By Gundog Girl [gb] Date 09.03.17 18:29 GMT Upvotes 1
A lovely working spaniel. They are a joy to watch and own.
- By Jeangenie [gb] Date 09.03.17 18:45 GMT Upvotes 5
Any of the Vulnerable Native Breeds, because puppy farmers and backyard breeders won't be able to exploit them the way the winning breed is usually.
- By compassion [gb] Date 09.03.17 20:19 GMT
Terrier Group was o.k. I guess.
- By compassion [gb] Date 09.03.17 21:04 GMT
Hound Group was o.k. as well, I especially liked the Whippet.
- By rachelsetters Date 09.03.17 21:51 GMT
Loved the grand the minute it entered the ring !
- By Brainless [gb] Date 09.03.17 22:09 GMT
Tibetan Spaniel
- By Brainless [gb] Date 09.03.17 22:11 GMT Upvotes 1
It was really funny when the Basenji won, as with them only having seasons once a year and being numerically small, no exploiters could get hold of them, and by the time they would breed they would have been forgotten.
- By Schnauday [gg] Date 10.03.17 03:38 GMT
A white mini schnauzer, that really would cause a stir:lol: Don't want it to happen though, minis already exploited by byb:sad:

Lagoon Romangolo lovely old breed short on numbers in U.K.
- By compassion [gb] Date 10.03.17 08:24 GMT
Anyone know why French Bulldogs have become so popular, my guess is that their inflated prices are attracting too many people that wouldn't otherwise be interested.
- By MamaBas Date 10.03.17 08:44 GMT Upvotes 1

> I especially liked the Whippet.

I was batting for the Whippet.   I found the GBGV rather lacking in leg - he wasn't that much taller than the PBGV!!  Nice happy dog tho.  I wasn't impressed with the Basset, again! on the move in the Group especially - way too much skin especially when the revised Standard calls for 'no excesses'.    Stacked he's very much the type the judge produces however.

I also loved the Saluki.
- By Goldmali Date 10.03.17 13:53 GMT Upvotes 1
My guess is that one of the two Papillons will win.

Scratch that -they were 2nd and 3rd in OD!

Interesting that last year's BIS winner was not even placed in the breed class this year. Seems such a shame, I'd rather have retired after winning.
- By compassion [gb] Date 10.03.17 14:56 GMT
Interesting that last year's BIS winner was not even placed in the breed class this year. Seems such a shame, I'd rather have retired after winning.

Agree, but there again, we wouldn't be saying this if the dog had won again would we :grin:

I 100% agree with you though, the perfect time to retire is when your on top.
- By Lexy [gb] Date 10.03.17 21:36 GMT

> Interesting that last year's BIS winner was not even placed in the breed class this year

The RBIS was 3rd in her class....

> Seems such a shame, I'd rather have retired after winning.

It is probably a hard decision when she is young , both BIS & RBIS were young bitches....
- By suejaw Date 11.03.17 07:06 GMT Upvotes 2
A breed which is healthy and not exaggerated in any way. A breed which puppy farmers can't flout for silly money. 

A breed which isn't a breed known for difficultly I handling and management got the general public because let's be honest whatever goes BIS the public will want.

Even if it means the rise of the Labrador to top spot I don't mind that.
A very rare or vulnerable breed might be good just as long as idiots don't get a hold of the breed and ruin it.
- By MamaBas Date 11.03.17 12:00 GMT Upvotes 1

> A very rare or vulnerable breed might be good just as long as idiots don't get a hold of the breed and ruin it.

Which is why, much as he was a bit lacking in leg (compared with the PBGV), for me, I'd love to see the GBGV go BIS because this isn't a numerically strong breed and BYBs would probably be hard put to find enough to flood the market with!    Ditto to some extent with the Lakeland Terrier.

Interesting to have all 3 Poodle sizes in the final cut!!  And two make it into the Group (1st and 3rd).
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 11.03.17 12:14 GMT
Facebook Replies:

Michelle Shamrotts says: ROTTWEILER

Samantha Butler says: Pugs

Jill Armit says: Gordon setter
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 11.03.17 12:17 GMT
Facebook Replies:

Julie Holligan says: Not mine... the last time it did was the downfall of the breed.... sad, but true
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 11.03.17 12:18 GMT
Jane Crewe says: We have this discussion on our breed pages (Samoyed). We think it would be a disaster too. So sad
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 11.03.17 12:18 GMT
Julie Holligan says: Mine is Australian Shepherds Jane, and it was the worst thing that could ever happen to the breed...
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 11.03.17 12:19 GMT
Ann Cooper says: I'm with Julie - anything but an Aussie. And Border Collies never win the group, never mind the championship! It maybe because they win every thing else lol!
- By compassion [gb] Date 11.03.17 13:03 GMT
I find it kind of sad when I read on here people 'Not' wanting their own breed to win Best In Show at CRUFTS, yes, sure I understand why, but its as if all you good/caring breeders are at the mercy of the puppy farmers. In a perfect world there would be more breeders like yourselves (people who genuinely love their breed) and no puppy farmers whatsoever. Puppy farming must surely be stopped.

I would prefer to see a level back, well moving German Shepherd win The Group & Best Of Breed at CRUFTS one day because hopefully then more and more breeders will start breeding the Unexaggerated example's like we seen back in the old days. Its extremely frustrating watching the video clip on this link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyobvthrfM

Please Please Please lets see a German Shepherd win Best Of Breed this year that is totally FREE of any exaggeration whatsoever. One things for sure all eyes will be on The German Shepherd dog now, probably more than ever.
- By sqwoofle [gb] Date 11.03.17 14:56 GMT
She said on the TV that Devon (last years BIS westie) was retired after her BIS win. So guess that's why she was unplaced XD
- By MamaBas Date 11.03.17 16:34 GMT Edited 11.03.17 16:37 GMT

> She said on the TV that Devon (last years BIS westie) was retired after her BIS win. So guess that's why she was unplaced XD

Now that had me checking the results of the Westies this year - I thought I'd heard in conversation that she was there (she was only young so could have been expected to have more wins in her?), but 'didn't make it through the classes'.   She would have been in Open Bitch but she's not shown as placed even.....??

Add -   So it was the RBIS last year that 'didn't make it through the classes', not the BIS?
- By Tommee Date 11.03.17 19:04 GMT
Er a showline BC won the Pastoral Group last year. I believe it was a foreign dog called Simaro Cold As Ice
Owner: MRS S ADELSPERGER
- By sqwoofle [gb] Date 12.03.17 01:35 GMT
I was showing on terrier day so have the catalogue. Will check it out of curiosity - but pretty certain she wasn't there. (The dog was - but only for meet and greet at the Dorwest Herbs stand haha!!). :D
- By Brainless [gb] Date 12.03.17 19:43 GMT Upvotes 1
Grief, when I started in my current breed this is what the GSD's at Crufts were like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHjJ2Xx0-t4
- By richard22 [gb] Date 30.04.17 17:31 GMT
i would like to see a cocker spaniel win crufts.
i think showing our dogs helps keep breed standards
- By CaroleC [gb] Date 30.04.17 22:33 GMT
You almost got your wish as it was an American Cocker. Maybe next year.
- By Goldmali Date 01.05.17 12:41 GMT Upvotes 1
Cocker Spaniel is the breed with the most Crufts BIS wins overall. Think it is 7 times.
- By debbo198 [gb] Date 01.05.17 21:06 GMT
I would like to see any breed that is a good fit to its standard; that can walk and run without breathing difficulties (longer muzzles), can whelp naturally, has a skull that can fit its brain/birth naturally, legs not deformed (too short/over-angulated) skin without exaggerated wrinkles causing skin conditions, practical not overly profuse coats; eyes that don't overly protude...  Some may think this would make dogs too similar, in a way it would but nowhere near enough not to still distinguish them as they were a few decades ago and so many breeds would be very much healthier - and maybe put off the propensity/popularity of all these weirdly named x breeds.
Let dogs be dogs - be fit to be dogs
Up Topic Dog Boards / Showing / Breed you would like to see WIN CRUFTS 2017 Best In Show?