Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / Scent marking indoors - help?
- By poodlenoodle Date 06.03.17 10:51 GMT
My standard poodle boy is 11 months now and well and healthy though definitely in the silliness of puberty.

He has now three times scent marked in the house. The first time was against our loo right after a guest had used the bathroom (which I completely understand). The second time was on my daughter's pyjamas on her bedroom floor. Those among you who are parents will understand they also may have smelled to him of wee! The third time was just now against my youngest child's bed tent (he is enclosed for sleep as he has complex autism). The last time bothers me most because nothing was new, but the bedding was fresh enough that it definitely hasn't got wee on it! And the room is very bare/low stimulus, and always the same - the previous times I could imagine his primal urge just took over at the whiff of wee, but this time I am concerned it's just becoming a habit.

I do not want to neuter, certainly not now, possibly not ever. And I am not confident that will solve the problem anyway as I know neutered dogs of both sexes who scent mark indoors sometimes.

I have resolved to keep him with me as he always does it out of my sight, the most recent one I could tell just by his jaunty body language when he came down stairs that he'd marked! I'm cleaning up with an enzyme wash and he hasn't marked any spot more than once.

He is walked at least an hour every day, half the week on leash and the other half "off" (actually on a 100 foot line as he's deaf in the presence of other dogs to play with). We are moving to a raw diet and he gets plenty of opportunities to chew. He has a doggy friend who he is able to run and play with three times a week for an hour each time.

He is a bit reactive just now (barking at the window at passersby), something which began at the fear period around 6 months and predates the marking by a long way. When he barks I call him off, as for a sit/wait or a down/wait and reward him with words or very occasionally a treat.

He is otherwise a very friendly, confident boy.

Sorry for the epic post but I wanted to give useful background. Any advice would be most welcome.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 06.03.17 12:16 GMT Upvotes 2
Keep him supervised,  and any sign of him attempting it a quick no,  and outside.

If you stop the opportunity of it becoming a habit.
- By poodlenoodle Date 06.03.17 14:03 GMT
Thank you Barbara! He has never done it in front of me, or even looked like he might (i know what he's thinking just from a glance!). But I wonder if partly it's because I'm in charge so if I'm with him he has that extra bit of security, though he doesn't seem at all anxious, he is pubescent and teenagers are all a bit insecure I think.

I am also thinking perhaps a few shorter walks added to his routine might help? He has one long walk every day, and a few extras a week here and there. But I wonder if he has a stronger drive to mark than is being met. I am also suspicious that my neighbours yorkie might be in season or have an infection as he is much much more interested in the fenceline than usual, which would answer a lot...
- By MamaBas Date 06.03.17 14:36 GMT Upvotes 1
Prevention!    By this age I'd suggest many people tend to 'relax' in terms of keeping up the housetraining at a time when puberty has kicked in, with that the possibility of marking.   Only once has my current boy lifted his leg and that was against my duvet which I'd rolled off the bed to change the under sheet.    I knew better than to allow that to happen again by making sure he couldn't get in there!!   The other boys, through our lives, mainly weren't allowed upstairs or in a single storey, up to the bedrooms.

I'm not sure what you are saying re walks - you do realise that an adult dog should have the ability to empty every 4 hours, roughly, at least so I hope you are making sure he can do this during the waking day!  Much as males don't totally empty for this very reason - leaving something to mark with.

If your neighbour's bitch is in season -there is NO DOUBT that's going to be affecting him.   Pity the bitch can't be SPAYED.

This is likely to be a habit he's getting into so for now, it's back to taking him out, and seeing what he does when out, roughly every couple of hours for now (I don't mean a full walk, jut the ability to go outside to pee) - and maybe fencing off the adjoining fence to next door, just in case she is in season!
- By poodlenoodle Date 06.03.17 21:53 GMT
Haha, yes, he is with me all day (if left at all, rarely for more than an hour and never more than 3) and has free access to the garden any time he likes. I just meant he gets at least an hour a day of actual exercise in places other than home where he can scent mark. When he has marked it is a little sprinkle, he definitely isn't "going" out of a need to. Just walked him there, a little stroll only, and clicked for every wee he did outside (only gave one actual treat but he works for the click quite happily now anyway).

It's actually good to hear other dogs have done it once or twice and it didn't become a big problem. I am and have been extremely dedicated to his training, despite a ridiculous year of other challenges, so if I fail to solve it certainly won't be due to lack of effort!
- By MamaBas Date 07.03.17 08:09 GMT

> When he has marked it is a little sprinkle

Ah, well I would suggest this is marking and in that, I'm afraid you'll just have to make sure he doesn't get where he might be tempted to do this!  Barriers - we had a baby-gate on the bottom of the stairs when in a two storey house, and one across the corridor to the bedrooms, or a door, in a single storey houe = no access to the bedrooms, without one of us being there!  Or not at all.   I'm sure that if the bitch next door is in season, he'll stop this once she's out.   And re the fencing to next door - I meant perhaps it might be a good idea to have an extra barrier between your place and next door, so he can't get right too the fence, not that he won't smell her if next door aren't being helpful and keeping their bitch away from the adjoining fence when she is in season!!   Maybe you might mention, in conversation?, the benefits of getting a bitch spayed :grin:
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 07.03.17 10:08 GMT Edited 07.03.17 10:22 GMT Upvotes 5
Given I didn't spay my current bitch until she was 5 years old after a lot of research and thought .I would more than be annoyed if my neighbour suggested that I should spay my bitch to prevent her entire boy being upset.
There is the possibility that the owner has no knowledge about spaying and a general discussion could be useful but otherwise this could be a dodgy path to go down . It would be if it was my neighbour suggesting I had spayed my bitch earlier for her dog .Alternativly the bitches owner may show her bitch and wouldn't  be rushing to spay anyway. .There are many disadvantage to spaying as well as some advantages it's not just a blanket yes spay a bitch
- By MamaBas Date 07.03.17 11:28 GMT
Sorry but the way I worded my comment wasn't for one moment suggesting this dog's owner pitch in with 'get your bitch spayed so she doesn't upset my male'!!   I'm just suggesting that the problem might be helped if the bitch were to be spayed.   And we don't KNOW the bitch is in season either.    Why do people jump at me, thinking the worst. :sad:

ps   Spayed bitches can still be shown - fwiw.
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 07.03.17 11:40 GMT Edited 07.03.17 11:51 GMT
Thank you for explaining your comment further as it did rather read that the neighbour need to be spoken to if her bitch was entire  and should  be spayed

I know bitches can be shown but many don't wish to spay there bitches if they are showing
- By poodlenoodle Date 07.03.17 11:56 GMT
Hello, the situation with the neighbour's dog is that it is almost never walked, not shown and is the sort of "house dog" some people keep. It wouldn't be me, but I have a breed and temperament which needs lots of exercise and things to do. The dog is otherwise happy, healthy and well cared for, and is small enough that the garden is a respectable size area for her to run about.  I'm not 100% sure about the season - I have seen the neighbour to wave to but not talk to the last few weeks (conflicting schedules only, we are and have always been on good terms). I am just suspicious because he has gone from peeing in 4 different spots in the garden to three spots on that fence. The fence itself is 7.5feet tall, 35 feet long, and its not easy to prevent him getting to it. I did try using his tether line to restrict his access to the garden but he just stood looking sad until I let him have free run.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / Scent marking indoors - help?