Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / To neuter or not neuter that is the question
- By goat Date 27.02.17 18:26 GMT Edited 27.02.17 18:29 GMT
I have booked my 2 year old dachshund for neutering on Thursday and sine making the appointment have been having second thoughts.  It sounds crazy but it is on my mind all the time.  I don't plan to breed from him but I am worried that if he has it done he will lose his personality,his lovely shiny coat and just be a changed dog.
He is not aggressive but he does have a few bad habits, the reason I have booked him in is simply because I cannot leave him in people's houses as he marks especially when there are other dogs in a house. I don't know if he is neutered now whether it will even make any difference with this problem.   I have found some wonderful pet sitters and they all turn him down.  I don't want to have a stranger in my home and I do not want to take him to kennels.
I really want to know what the benefits will be of having him neutered.  He doesn't wander, he is always with me or on a leash, he doesn't really hump and he is not aggressive although he does bark at people from time to time and would chase people if he could.  He also whines a lot!!!!
Where I live (I am not in the UK) I have to get him a license every year which costs around £80 approx if he is neutered it would only cost £10 which is also a big difference.
I just wondered what would you do, what should I do??????? Please help I really am confused I just don't know what to do.
- By Jodi [gb] Date 27.02.17 19:15 GMT Upvotes 1
From what I've read, neutering won't stop marking, many neutered dogs will mark, it really is a training issue. However you could try a chemical castration to see what effect  castration will have on him
- By compassion [gb] Date 27.02.17 20:03 GMT
Just my opinion I know, but I wouldn't at just 2 years old, I would prefer to wait until a dog has fully developed both physically & mentally.
- By Lacy Date 27.02.17 20:41 GMT
Goat forgive me but didn't you post sometime ago regarding neutering.
Personally having had two neutered hounds, I'd never do it again unless required for medical reasons.
- By Nikita [gb] Date 27.02.17 21:10 GMT Upvotes 1
If I remember rightly, from what you said before it sounds like his marking is most likely due to insecurity.  Neutering will not help with that, and may make it considerably worse.

That said, if it is just straightforward territorial marking, occasionally neutering can help (not usually by this age but occasionally) but I'd be inclined to try chemical castration first to see what effect it will have.  Better something that will wear off after a short time, if it does have negative effects, than an irreversible operation.
- By Tommee Date 27.02.17 21:33 GMT Upvotes 1
previous post
- By Brainless [gb] Date 27.02.17 23:44 GMT Upvotes 1
The only thing it will guarantee is sterility.  On balance the negatives outweigh any benefits health wise.

Behaviourally they may take away his confidence and turn him into a less confident dog that attracts male attention being perceived as a bitch in interesting condition.
- By Lacy Date 28.02.17 07:00 GMT

> Behaviourally they may take away his confidence and turn him into a less confident dog that attracts male attention being perceived as a bitch in interesting condition.

This happened to our elder boy, even those dogs he'd previously played with charged & humped him, any confidence he'd around other dogs soon disappeared. can honestly say there wasn't a day I regretted it. Interacting with other dogs even bitches became a minefield as most of the time he seeked to avoid those dogs he was uncertain off.
- By MamaBas Date 28.02.17 08:17 GMT Edited 28.02.17 08:20 GMT
At his age I seriously doubt castration will improve marking.   For starters.   Secondly, castration, in my eyes, should never be used to correct unwanted behaviour because it more often than not won't and the owner will be disappointed.   For me, the only reason to castrate should be for medical need - eg. retained testicles.    I had to have two of my oldies castrated (prostate problems - not cancerous) and really regretted it.   Perhaps my breed is 'soft' enough but both boys seems to lack their previous zip (if you can say Bassets have that :grin:), grew heavier coats and tended to put on weight unless I was constantly watching how much they were eating.   And they did tend to 'attract' entire males more because they didn't know what they 'were'!

I'd never castrate at under a year to allow the growth plates to close.

Most, if not all, behavioural problems should be able to be trained out, or by using 'prevention'.
ps   Trying chemical castration, as suggested, might be worth doing.    Check my answer to your previous q. on this.
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 28.02.17 10:45 GMT
Champdogs Blog: The Pros and Cons of Neutering
- By goat Date 28.02.17 17:56 GMT Upvotes 1
thank you all so much for your kind replies I did post on this topic a while ago and have given it so much thought I pretty much feel that I don't want to do the procedure on him as in general he is a lovely, calm and laid back boy and yes sure he barks but he is a dog.  The vets too me the marking will be considerably less but there is no guarantee.  I am not prepared to put him through an operation and take such a gamble.  I am also not prepared for him to have a possible change in personality when I love him how he is.  I will have to find a way to try and stop him marking and will do more research on this.
I simple don't understand why vets push for puppies to be castrated and still do this procedure if there are so many negatives.  As a friend of mine put it yesterday he will become a eunuch and that really got me worried!!!! So tomorrow morning I am cancelling the appointment.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 28.02.17 18:35 GMT

> As a friend of mine put it yesterday he will become a eunuch

That is exactly what he would become, and the negatives are just the same as they were for those poor boys.
- By Lacy Date 28.02.17 19:11 GMT

> That is exactly what he would become, and the negatives are just the same as they were for those poor boys.

L.O.L , I've always called our remaining hound a Castrato, even his bark used to be higher pitched.
- By JeanSW Date 28.02.17 22:07 GMT
Tommee

Thanks for posting the link regarding the previous enquiry.

I have checked my reply to that post and would only say the same again.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Behaviour / To neuter or not neuter that is the question