Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Recommended Breeders - Where do I start
- By Karlk83 [im] Date 16.02.17 12:16 GMT
Hello,

I am looking for advice or a point in the right direction to the most reputable breeders for whippets in the UK.

I'm looking preferably for a blue female. She will probably not be shown as we live in the Isle of Man, and will most certainly not be used for breeding. We would just like another dog for our young family. We have owned two dogs before so we are not beginners, we would just like another companion to fill the void left behind since our last dog passed away, and the whippets personality and mentality appears perfect for our family lifestyle.

We are not rushing into anything as we would be looking around August/September time, or even later in the year.

Previously we have taken on a friends dog and then a rescue dog, so I do not have experience in the breeders process.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations could they please personal message me, if its not allowed on this thread.

Many thanks

Karl
- By Gundogs [gb] Date 16.02.17 12:21 GMT
Hello!
If you do not intend to show or breed, could you possibly consider another rescue?  http://houndsfirst.co.uk/dogs-for-adoption/
- By Karlk83 [im] Date 16.02.17 12:32 GMT
Hey,

Thanks for your response. We have considered it but we have decided to go with a puppy this time, as we have a young child now we think it would be best to bring a dog into our home while its young. Principally because we did experience some pack mentality issues with our last rescue dog. Not that this experience should put people off rescue dogs because we would definitely rescue again when the kids are older, and we would highly recommend it.

Karl :grin:
- By compassion [gb] Date 16.02.17 13:03 GMT
Hello,

I am looking for advice or a point in the right direction to the most reputable breeders for whippets in the UK.

Looking for a reputable breeder, I would imagine there's plenty of reputable breeders listed on CHAMPDOGS, good place to start.

Take your time, ring people up, if you like the sound of them try and arrange to visit them and meet their dogs beforehand, that's my advice to you.
- By MamaBas Date 16.02.17 13:05 GMT
I'd advise you to contact the relevant Breed Club.  Good interested (committed) breeders tend to join a Breed Club (at least!) and Breed Clubs have Codes of Ethics which, should, rule out BYBs.  And they often have a person who keeps lists of people with puppies.   I'd also say you may have to wait as it seems there are often more male Whippets available, than bitches. 

Whippets are great little dogs but do best in a family where somebody is around most of the time, and a home that has a decent sized garden which is FULLY FENCED so they can have their 'daily blast'.   Our bitch, who was a blue brindle with white trim, is now more tan brindle but honestly it's the 'person' you will have to focus on, not the colour :grin:    I have lived with Bassets since forever, but felt I needed a switch to something taller and lighter (weight) and I'd had a lot to do with my then neighbour's Whippets but she was still quite a learning experience but once I discovered how to unlock her brain, all was well.   She's certainly NOT a Basset however and in so many ways, actually more 'cat like'.   We bought our Whippet from a lady down here in the SW who then moved to France.  But she doesn't have blues.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 16.02.17 17:30 GMT
There are lots of excellent breeders of whippets around, my experience is that they are wonderful with a couple of little glitches, they are hardwired to run and often to chase small furries so their training to recall needs to be learnt early and well, they can be very careless of themselves and run into things when they are at full speed. I found that they can be prone to counter surfing and my bitch used to jump up on the worktop and eat everything and I mean everything. Mostly brilliant with children and love to be warm, don't think they will stay off the sofa or bed unless you are really strict, much tougher and hardier that they look, normally great with other dogs as long as they don't get bounced on too much.

Just a word of caution, blue seems to be the "in" colour at the moment and this fashion may mean that the puppies are being bred for the colour rather than other more honourable reasons, also the colour of the puppy is not guaranteed to be the colour of the adult and blue does sometimes go fawnish or fade.  Good luck in your search and you may find this breed rather addictive.
- By JeanSW Date 16.02.17 18:38 GMT

> also the colour of the puppy is not guaranteed to be the colour of the adult and blue does sometimes go fawnish or fade

Very important point.  I once had a lovely gunmetal grey Chihuahua Long Coat pup in a litter of white and cream.  Consequently he really stood out and looked very striking.  The first people on my waiting list chose him immediately.  (This is why I get annoyed when you see a BYB litter advertised as "Grey, will stay grey.")  I had to tell them that he would most definitely not stay that beautiful colour.  And as an adult he would be fawn.  They wanted him anyway and all the photos I've been sent over the years are of a fawn dog with a light grey mask.

I totally understand why people go for something that stands out, but it is wrong for breeders not to be honest.
- By Lexy [gb] Date 16.02.17 19:52 GMT Upvotes 1
I cant stress enough to look for a well bred puppy where colour is not the top priority & the health & temperament is.
Yes, everyone seems to want Blues & they really are NOT a rare colour & some are cashing in on this trend and advertising them as so!!

It is good to look for a breeder than look for a puppy, go and see the adult dogs of a breeder before they have puppies just to make sure they are really what you want. This builds up a rapport with a breeder & once this happens it will last at least for the lifetime of the puppy.....well this is the case with my 'puppy' owners.
- By Brainless [gb] Date 16.02.17 21:31 GMT
I would always say the breed club/s.

People that belong to their breed club are likely to want to be in good standing with their peers, and the club secretary will also know of the known bad breeders in the breed, as they often end up dealing with people seeking advice, and of course the majority of rescue cases come from breeders/puppy producers who do not care what happens once they sell.

There would be very few serious respected breeders that do not belong to at least one breed club, where there is more than one available (even if club politics are an issue).
- By Karlk83 [im] Date 16.02.17 21:45 GMT
Thanks for all the responses. From all the comments and things i've read i most definitely think the whippets characteristics are what we are looking for.

We have a 200sq metre back garden that is completely fenced on all sides, and our property backs directly onto the local golf course, so there is no shortage of open space for our potential new arrival to have a morning & evening run. I live 2 minutes drive from work so I don't leave the house till 9 and I also come home at lunch for an hour at 12, and my wife works part time and is home for 3 o'clock. And one of us is alway off work in the school holidays with the kids.

I'm only looking for a blue because my late gran used to have a blue, so its more of a sentimental thing from my upbringing rather than trying to follow the latest in trend or to stand out. If i couldn't find a blue then it wouldn't put me off and i will still get a whippet.

I notice there are a lot of breeders on this site, I was only asking for a recommendation because there is so many and its not clear how often they breed or if they have litters upcoming/available or prices.

It will also cost me £300 minimum for each visit that I make to the breeder, due to the cost of taking a car on the ferry from the Isle of Man to either Heysham or liverpool and back. This is also why i am trying to be extra cautious about which breeder i use, although the health and surroundings of the puppy is obviously the most important factor.

thanks again for all your help
- By Brainless [gb] Date 16.02.17 22:01 GMT Upvotes 1
Most breed clubs have a breeder list, very few good breeders need to advertise a whole litter, so it is best to contact one that you get a raport with and go on their waiting list.  If its too far in future they may know of a breeder or litter due.
- By Leannearchie [us] Date 17.02.17 00:13 GMT
Hi I'm looking to get a dog for my son-I really like miniature sausage dogs but as I'm allergic I wasn't sure if this was my best option?
Also I'm in Aberdeen, Scotland and wanted to know of trustworthy breeders. Thanks
- By Brainless [gb] Date 17.02.17 00:15 GMT
I would advise contacting breeders and visiting and seeing if the dogs affect you.
You may find that one type of coat is better than another for example wire or long as opposed to short (as often it's the dander not hair that causes reactions).
- By Leannearchie [us] Date 17.02.17 00:23 GMT
Thank you-typical that I prefer short hair. I did think I'd be best seeing a puppy before committing so obviously be best if I can find a breeder in Scotland, especially if id be visiting on more than one occasion x
- By MamaBas Date 17.02.17 08:52 GMT

> they can be very careless of themselves and run into things when they are at full speed. I found that they can be prone to counter surfing and my bitch used to jump up on the worktop and eat everything and I mean everything.

This takes me back to when, early days, my Whippet tore across the garden and under a bench we had out there.   We were not aware of this but there was a screw protruding under there and yes ........ about an inch tear in her back.   Thankfully it healed without affecting the way her coat lies but all I could think of was my pretty puppy was going to be scarred for life.   Needless to say the bench went.

As for counter surfing, thankfully this isn't something mine is into BUT one of my neighbours was, a male.   When they went away for their long holiday and we were sitting, we had to pretty much remove anything that wasn't bolted down in the kitchen (they only had the run of downstairs when one of us sat with them during the evenings)!    It was horrendous.

I can totally endorse this blue turning to fawnish.  :wink:
- By Lexy [gb] Date 17.02.17 17:20 GMT
Ok, I don't profess to know lots about colour genetics in Whippets but there is most definitely is Blue, which to non show folk think is grey. Depending on parent colours & time of year(summer coat) there can be what I refer to as a bad blue(happens in blacks also) where a paler colour can sometimes be visible. 
Here is a good link to colour although it is American & they use slightly different terms to the UK..much easier than explaining in writing http://runswiftwhippets.net/Genetics/Genetics%20old.html ......here is the blue section http://runswiftwhippets.net/Genetics/D-blue.html
- By Brainless [gb] Date 17.02.17 21:26 GMT
Yes you get Blues and Blue Brindles, so sometimes a pup may seem blue but Brindling comes out later.

I have certainly seen same very deep good colour blues/Blue parti in whippets.
- By Lexy [gb] Date 17.02.17 21:28 GMT
Yes Brainless I know, we have been in the breed since 1963, it just I have never gone in depth with the colour genetic side of my breed...
- By Brainless [gb] Date 17.02.17 21:30 GMT
Sorry wasn't really replying to you, rather generally over the Blue theme, as in not being a new fad in Whippets, but well established colour.

Bit of a Cinderella colour along with the Blacks.
- By Lexy [gb] Date 17.02.17 21:35 GMT
Ok, .......yes Blue is an established colour that's for certain but a colour which is very much being exploited by unscrupulous breeders & sold for mega money & tagged as a rare colour :mad::sad:
- By Brainless [gb] Date 17.02.17 21:39 GMT
Don't get this obsession with Blue, though a good dark blue in whippets is nice in many breeds like Staffs and GSD it's horrible washed out dirty colour.
- By mixedpack [gb] Date 18.02.17 08:25 GMT
Lexy it may be a similar genetic makeup to the fading black in horses, some stay jet black all year and some fade to (imo) an unattractive rusty colour, the point is very well made though that although blue has always been there in whippets it is now fashionable and looking at the breeds that have been bred for colour it's not a road good breeder will be taking.  I think that the variety of colours and marking are the icing on the cake for these lovely dogs.
- By MamaBas Date 18.02.17 08:26 GMT

> sometimes a pup may seem blue but Brindling comes out later.<br />

Our 'blue brindle' was 'brindle' from the outset.   But as said, the blue has tended to go to a more tan now.
- By compassion [gb] Date 18.02.17 09:16 GMT
Don't get this obsession with Blue, though a good dark blue in whippets is nice in many breeds like Staffs and GSD it's horrible washed out dirty colour.

Everyone I have spoke to (don't know if its just coincidence ....?) who have owned 'Blue Dogs' of various breeds have said that they have had problems with bald patches & thinning appearing on the dogs blue coat, but I have noticed the lack of pigmentation, many don't even have a black nose.

If you have the proper colour Blue in a breed (dark blue) like seen in whippets then my guess is they will probably have a nice black nose.
I like a nice 'Dark Blue' with white markings in whippets, but in some other breeds the colour looks more 'Light Grey' thankfully there doesn't appear to be many breeding for the colour blue in German Shepherds.
- By MamaBas Date 18.02.17 14:40 GMT
This colour thing and what happens later on isn't something I really know about, in Whippets.   I have always preferred dark tri Bassets (not just a tricolour with a black saddle but the true dark tri with tan eye points).    I tend to know which lines start off as tricolours but fade (as they all do to some extent) to the point of really being bicolours.   The black all but gone so they look more like tan and whites.   Known as faded tricolours.

My Blue Brindle Whippet doesn't have any sign of a thinning coat (she's 8.5 years now) and she has a dark nose and nice brown eyes which I wanted as I don't relate to dogs with light eyes.

All interesting and it just goes to show nobody ever knows it ALL  :grin:
- By dogfamily32 [gb] Date 09.05.17 09:56 GMT
Hello  we are looking for breeders  of miniature schnauzers. We lost our wee girl recently due to complications of diabetes. We live in the Scottish Border region; can anyone advise us?   Pam MacKay
- By Jeangenie [gb] Date 09.05.17 10:52 GMT
I believe this breeder might be able to help you.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Searching / Recommended Breeders - Where do I start