Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Can Metacam help cancer?
- By G.Rets [gb] Date 11.12.16 23:12 GMT
My dog had a bladder tumour removed and has secondaries. I have been told from more than one source that the progression of bladder tumours can possibly be slowed by giving Metacam.
Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how it works? The dog is seemingly very well at the moment.
- By Gundog Girl [gb] Date 12.12.16 07:11 GMT
Yes it does. According to my vet (who is excellent) it prevents new tumours from forming. So sorry to hear your dog has cancer. I'm currently waiting for the results of a biopsy for my flat coat.
- By Merlot [gb] Date 12.12.16 07:44 GMT
I have no idea but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this news. I hope the surgery helps to slow things down. There is a specific diet that is supposed to help I am sure if you google it (You probably have done !) you can find the details. Take care G.Rets we are thinking of you xx
- By MamaBas Date 12.12.16 08:17 GMT Upvotes 1
I've just done a small amount of searching on this subject and find nothing to suggest Metacam does anything, re cancer, other than help control pain.  But that alone is good!    https://www.vetinfo.com/metacam-for-dogs.html

On the other hand, prednisone is often used together with Chemo.    I'm sure your vet would advise and if he has said Metacam can help, other than as pain relief therapy, then listen to him - he's the vet!
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 12.12.16 10:49 GMT Upvotes 1
I would  read up on cannabis oil aka cbd , yes it is legal in the uk as long as it has less than .02% thc ( think that's the right amount) Atm you can buy it online easily but the government are talking about regulating it which will mean it will only be available on prescription . Have a look at the canine health concern shop they sell one called cbd elixir that is good quality and will also have info on their fb page about its uses including good effects on tumours . There are other supplies too
- By georgepig [gb] Date 27.03.17 14:22 GMT
Some metronomic chemotherapy uses metacam as part of the 'recipe' so it may be that that you have heard about.
- By Munch [gb] Date 28.03.17 20:14 GMT
My old girl has bladder cancer and my vet dispensed Loxicom as 'drug of choice' too. I also started her on turmeric paste. No idea if either have done much but she's still with me and has smashed the original expectations.
- By Xlb619 [gb] Date 27.06.17 20:04 GMT
Hi, my staff was diagnosed with nozzle cancer in February. She has been gradually getting worse, her sight was going, deaf and generally no excitement from her on walks. Guess as her sense of smell was gone there was nothing for her to do. Anyway I've given her metacam on occasions when I felt she was in pain. However I've given it to her every day for a week and her sight is better, barking at the noisy kids next door, and she's smelling again! Not sure if it's a short term thing but while she's happy I'm happy!
- By G.Rets [gb] Date 27.06.17 20:20 GMT
I really hope that he improvement continues. Good luck.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Can Metacam help cancer?