Not logged inChampdogs Information Exchange
Forum Breeders Help Search Board Index Active Topics Login
Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Alabama Rot should I be worried?
- By saxonjus Date 22.06.16 08:43 GMT
After reading another article and warning about Alabama Rot I'm wondering should I be worried and following advice? The article advises every time you walk dog in woods/forest in a muddy area,puddle,or river to thoroughly hose down dog,dry and check regularly for adhesions on skin.
If my dog's over muddy yes I shower him down if muddy paws I towel dry them.
I had never heard of Alabama Rot before. Checking areas in country it seems it was only in South areas and Scotland. It now advises in the North East, Midlands and spreading!
Anyone come across a case?  Are you concerned or is it like palm Oil only in specific areas?
- By MamaBas Date 22.06.16 08:59 GMT
Always be aware, but don't get paranoid about this.   Yes, it's around, mainly in the South as far as I know.   I've not heard much about this of late however.   You could run this past your vet to see if it's been seen where you live.
- By saxonjus Date 22.06.16 09:02 GMT
I checked a vet site and it had a postcode checker on it. I added my postcode and it came up with 4 cases in my area *50 miles radius:eek: Another vet site said he wadn't taking his own dogs in any muddy woods...
Think I'll ring my vets
- By Jodi [gb] Date 22.06.16 09:08 GMT
I was reading quite an interesting article on the Internet from a vet who has taken a lot of interest in Alabama rot. One thing he did mildly point out is that there has only been a very small number of proven dog deaths from the disease which if put against the amount of dogs in the UK does bring things more into proportion.
Yes, be very aware of it, I'm less inclined to walk in woodlands especially during the autumn/winter then I used to be and I normally wash down my dog after a muddy walk as I don't want a muddy dog in the house, but there are indications that washing doesn't help anyway. I'm not letting the fear of her maybe catching this disease stress me unduly and just keep an eye on her legs and muzzle for any signs of lesions
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 22.06.16 09:10 GMT
Its nationwide now or at least there have been confirmed cases nationwide but its still rare. The high season seems to be winter/autumn and maybe early spring so again its less likely now. Anderson moores vets are doing the research but so far haven't announced any firm findings. My feelings are no you don't need to panic , if you are worried and have been walking in damp woodland , only a suspicion that there's a connection, see your vet. Many of who still arnt aware of it so it seems. You can  wash don feet after walks but again this isnt confirmed as any help at all. Keep an eye for any strange lesions on the body particularly legs and feet. My personal feeling is that like many illnesses its terrible but we have to keep it in proportion there have been less that 100 case since 2012 when I last read the info a month or so ago.
anyone on fb there is afb group for this too and AM have info on their website. Also there is no connection to raw feeding and the original similar cases in America in greyhounds in the 80's . it can affect dogs however fed
- By saxonjus Date 22.06.16 09:23 GMT
Just rang my vets and they confirmed yes 4 cases in area. Advising avoid woods I'm only 3 minutes from a wood and 5 mins from fields with a wood....
They said if I do walk in areas to wash him immediately to remove any mud from paws,legs....

I'm now ok we walk every day in these areas with road walks... so any drop of mud I'm to hose him down? 9 weeks post op I can feel the hernia starting...
- By Jan bending [gb] Date 22.06.16 20:28 GMT
I recently posted about a case of Alabama Rot in my area ( East Sussex ) This was on a thread about washing dogs /disinfecting dogs after walks-not something I'd ever considered doing but a local veterinary practice were advising dog owners to wash paws following a case at their practice. Nobody responded at the time  which surprised me considering the gravity of this condition but I just reckoned I'm on more 'Ignore Posts ' than I realised.

Am washing paws unless on my own land.

Just had to say goodbye to another beloved dog . This time Zigi -just a month short of 14. So sudden. She was active until the end.  That makes four in 18months. Miss them so much.
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 22.06.16 20:37 GMT
http://alabamarot.co.uk/
- By saxonjus Date 22.06.16 20:57 GMT Upvotes 1
My condolences Jan.... Always hard to see a family member go
- By poodlenoodle Date 22.06.16 21:20 GMT
Jan your post prompted me to google and find out all about alabama rot, i just didn't have anything useful to contribute and thus never replied (i'd never even heard of it!).  So definitely not because you're on ignore!  Probably a lot of readers were in the same position.

I'm going to ask my vet anyway, but because mine is a poodle he will be in a onesie style waterproof in wet/wintry weather anyway so just the feet to wash down (assuming that helps, which it seems it might not?).

And i'm sorry for your loss, run free little one!
- By MamaBas Date 23.06.16 07:14 GMT
https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Resident/Environmental-Problems/Dogs/Alabama-Rot---What-you-need-to-know.aspx

Having just done a search to find out how it spreads, specifically, I found the above article.   Living on the N.Cornwall coast, we are a way off where it has been seen BUT we get a ton of visitors and their dogs, from all over the UK, each summer.   So I'm naturally worried about what is being brought into the area.   This article suggests how it spreads is at present, unknown.   Anybody have any more information about the spreading of this?
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 23.06.16 08:08 GMT
Read my previous link too from tje veys who are heading all.the research. Atm they are still unsure about anything .various theories for causes ,how it's spreads and prevention have been put forward but none confirmed
- By Admin (Administrator) Date 23.06.16 09:01 GMT
Facebook Reply:

Stephanie Presdee says: vets are advising a solution of Hibiscrub and wash down legs and feet
- By bestdogs Date 23.06.16 09:32 GMT
My normal practice for muddy legs etc is to swim my dogs in one of our fast flowing Exmoor waters, bit concerned now Saxonjus to see you mention rivers along with muddy areas. I hadn't picked that up in anything I read on the subject so if poss could you post the link please? I do tend to use the beach mostly during the out of season months which keeps muddy walks to a minimum.

I think whilst we must be vigilant we should keep this in perspective and not panic. Thanks for reminding us about it, have to admit I hadn't given it much thought recently.
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 23.06.16 09:52 GMT Upvotes 1
http://alabamarot.co.uk/
- By bestdogs Date 23.06.16 10:01 GMT
Thanks furrie friends.
- By poodlenoodle Date 23.06.16 10:07 GMT
From the reading I did from the links here and other sites it seems that:

- The cause is unknown. They suspect an e.coli but have been unable to identify the specific one or prove that's what it is.

- All walk locations except roads have seen cases, including rivers and beaches, woodland and fields.

- Most cases occur between December and March but there are some all year round.

- up to 75% of dogs with lesions DO NOT go on to develop kidney failure, but unfortunately onset is so fast the kidney failure is usually only identified post mortem so renal support is recommended for all dogs with a suspected case. If renal failure occurs the mortality rate is very high.

- most advice says to rinse and dry dogs after muddy walks. Some vets are recommending hibuscrub or similar, others are saying just plain water (because even minor irritation could allow "whatever it is" a point of entry).

I'm sort of tempted to not worry about it because there doesn't seem to be any reliable way to avoid it anyway.
- By Jodi [gb] Date 23.06.16 10:24 GMT
I'm drifting towards the same conclusion as you poodlenoodle, it's so difficult to pinpoint where, when and how a dog picks up the disease, that worrying unduly seems counterproductive. The only way to prevent the disease, apart from not having a dog, would be to keep it in a sterilised room 24/7
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 23.06.16 10:51 GMT
I don't worry as there are so many things I could panic about. look at the latest stuff about oak processionary moths caterpillars that is pretty awful if you dog should be in conat with one or us for that matter.  we wont take our dogs anywhere and they will become prisoners at home as would we if we don't try and keep things in proportion. There are so many things we could worry about, vaccinations , vaccinosis , tics and what about the most recent 3 or 4 cases of babeosis (sp) the list goes on and takes the pleasure out of of owning
- By bestdogs Date 23.06.16 11:03 GMT Upvotes 2
I agree, I shall carry on as usual, but obviously we all check our dogs when grooming and petting.

At this stage, with so little known about it, I think that is the most sensible way to approach it.
As you say furrie friends, there are so many things we could worry ourselves silly over!
- By klb [gb] Date 23.06.16 11:46 GMT
We have working gunogs and they are regularly in woods, outside of shooting season we continue to walk in woods.
We do however always wash dogs legs and belly throughly after all walks ( even if not too wet and muddy ) and monitor closely for any signs of lessions. Have been doing this for at least 2 years.
May be small toy breeds could cope with a lead walk on pavements but active large breeds need to run and it is nit practical to avoid wet damp areas - even dog show sites can be wet and muddy. A wash off is the best we have at moment and whilst itis a worry when number of affect dogs is compared to the thousands of dogs walks daily in similar areas it thankfully very very small
- By saxonjus Date 23.06.16 12:59 GMT
I have now started to wash his paws every time we walk in fields/woods now.  I have looked through his paws/legs all seems well.We take him to Yorkshire in a few weeks so will take more old towels with us.

I read usually Winter and Spring it's about more however these cases are Summertime. ....
If we make it part of our routine to wash paws and belly every walk then maybe a good thing. Either that or buy him wellingtons
- By furriefriends [gb] Date 23.06.16 13:50 GMT
Lesions have been found elsewhere on the body .so if u are checking feet and legs also look  into mouth etc
- By saxonjus Date 23.06.16 15:55 GMT
I'd not thought of his mouth! I'd just read paws/legs/belly.......I think I'm getting paranoid now
- By poodlenoodle Date 25.06.16 22:06 GMT
Also they don't know what is causing it. So the lesions might be systemic and secondary to the real cause (like chicken pox lesions arising from varicella in the blood or cold sores arising from herpes virus in the tissue). They could be ingesting something which gives rise to the lesions, rather than the lesions appearing from direct contact with whatever it is.
- By Chad R [gb] Date 07.06.17 17:57 GMT
There are some really useful links on this website here http://alabamarot.co.uk/links/ that looks like it's updated on a pretty regular basis. Information, maps, news and advice from vets.
- By G.Rets [gb] Date 08.06.17 23:17 GMT
The position with so called Alabama Rot is that research has eliminated several theories but not discovered any positives to date. It is widespread geographically now (29 counties) but still only a very small number of confirmed cases ( obviously not relevant to those poor people whose dogs have died.) It is not transmittable dog to dog and sometimes one in a group of dogs walked together will get the disease and others will be fine. If two from the same household do get it, they have nearly always been related which makes me think of an immune deficiency in that line of dogs. There is no discrimination of gender, age, breed, neuter status, weight/ size of dog. Certain breeds have not been known to have the disease but that may just be co-incidence. Clinical signs have been skin lesions, vomiting, anorexia. Only 9 confirmed cases have survived out of just over 100 cases. Seasonally it is usually November to March (90%) with just a very small number of exceptions (10%).
It has been recommended to wash the dogs' feet, legs, bellies, etc after a wet, muddy walk but no-one knows if this is useful.  Is it a virus, bacteria or toxin? Despite many environmental investigations, no-one yet knows. Much research has been done on this disease but more funds are needed to enable further studies and possibly PHD research. If you want to contribute to this research by making a donation, there are various ways to do this, one of which is through the organisation NFDog. It is frustrating for all involved that no positives have yet been found but the only thing that can be done is more research. It has been 5 years since the first case (in the New Forest) and many thousands have been raised and spent. We all hope for an answer sooner rather than later.
Up Topic Dog Boards / Health / Alabama Rot should I be worried?